Death of Wolves fan who was pushed by Doorman was accidental, jury rules

A 50-year-old Wolves fan died as a result of an accident after he was pushed outside a pub while intoxicated, a jury has ruled.

Kalwinder Singh Mangat, nicknamed Kully, banged his head after he was pushed to the ground by doorman Stuart Hickinbottom who had ejected him from The Old Still Inn, in Wolverhampton, on January 19, 2019.

Mr Mangat, who allegedly swore at the pub’s doormen, was resuscitated at the scene but died five days later in Birmingham’s Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Black Country Coroners Court was told.

Delivering their verdict yesterday, a jury ruled it was an “accidental death from complications due to lack of oxygenated blood to the brain”.

Summarising the incident, the jury said he was escorted to the exit by the door supervisor in a calm manner, but once outside a disagreement took place between Mr Mangat and door staff as to why he was barred and had been asked to leave.

The inquest heard a heated discussion took place between the door supervisor and Mr Mangat, which led to Mr Mangat being pushed to the floor, causing a head injury.

An ambulance was called and when paramedics arrived, Mr Mangat was breathing but unconscious.

When they rolled him on his back to place him on a stretcher, he suffered a cardiac arrest.

CPR was administered and he was taken to the QE hospital in Birmingham, where further tests were carried out.

A toxicology report indicated a blood alcohol level of 238mg per decilitre, about three times the drink-drive limit.

Recording what then happened, the jury said: “Another test indicated that due to the cardiac arrest a lack of oxygenated blood was to reach his brain causing the brain injury and swelling.

“When the tests came back it was also found that he only had a score of three out of 15 on the Glasgow Coma Scale and that there was no chance of recovery.”

Dr Alexander Kolar, who is a forensic pathologist and works for the Home Office, previously told the inquest that Mr Mangat’s death resulted from him being intoxicated but also sustaining a “mild head injury”.

The inquest heard Mr Mangat was knocked unconscious from the fall and went into cardiac arrest where attempts were made to resuscitate him for 25 minutes, which eventually proved successful.

However, during that time, there was a lack of oxygen going to his brain which resulted in an injury known as a “secondary insult”, said Dr Kolar.

Mr Mangat died from complications of post traumatic concussion associated apnoea.

Mr Hickinbottom was arrested in the aftermath of the incident but was not charged with any offence following a police investigation.

He gave evidence at an earlier hearing of the inquest, recalling how he feared he had been stabbed during the confrontation, although he did not actually receive any injuries.

Mr Mangat, of Renton Road, Oxley, Wolverhampton, who worked as a quality engineer, had two children.

Source – Express and Star