Never thought I would miss static work

Security Guarding Discussion

Moderators: Bulldog, Big Paul, karlbee, hippy, Door Bitch, Boz

Never thought I would miss static work

Postby outofmind12 » 04 Apr 2012, 15:44

I have only been at it 8 months but im getting fed up with retail (or at least supermarket retail). The benefit of sleeping during the night and getting a bit more time with family is quickly been outweighed by the annoying negatives of the role, such as having to put up with internal politics and point scoring among staff, expectations beyong your assigned duties and of course been on your feet constantly and been treated like s*it by staff and customers, most of them assume because your a security guard it means your a idiot who just stands there doing nothing.

Now I have met a lot of retail guards, and I admit a lot of them are not the sharpest tools in the box, but lets face it most contractor companies hire people who are reliable, people who will turn up and not get into any bother. They dont want have-a-go heros who literally do everything they can to catch shoplifters, thats too much of a risk, they dont wanna get sued for false arrest or have to deal with the backlash from clients when something goes wrong, because lets face it if anything goes wrong in retail you will get the blame even if you were just doing as instructed.

I am now finding myself craving the isolation and freedom that working static jobs can provide you with. Sure 12 - 16 hour shifts per night are terrible and they cause havoc with your body on a weekly basis, it also gets very lonely and can be pretty scary as a lone worker, but at least for the most part you can work on your own initiative as long as you get on with the job. It also helps if you work for a decent company who will treat you well enough and not try to force you to do more than you require. During my last static job I started with 85 hours per week, told them it was too much and ended up working 40 hours over 3 nights, 4 days off a week was nice.

So thats it, I am going to pass my driving test this summer, complete a CCTV course in June, then start looking for new roles.
outofmind12
WTD Recruit

Re: Never thought I would miss static work

Postby Mike123 » 04 Apr 2012, 18:52

I'm thinking about leaving the industry all together

Currently looking at alternatives :|
Mike123
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby outofmind12 » 04 Apr 2012, 19:09

Mike123 wrote:I'm thinking about leaving the industry all together

Currently looking at alternatives :|

A lot of people would like to leave the industry. I know I would, but I have no trade right now, and with the econemy so pathetically bad, I just feel lucky to have options in security. I am only 23 (just), if I didnt have experience and qualifications in security then I would be in the same boat as about a million other young men, applying for part time jobs stacking shelves or sat in a call centre trying to flog stuff people dont want or need.

Theres always security work out there for people willing to do it. Even better if you have your own transport, you can get to where the work is even if its in middle of no where.
outofmind12
WTD Recruit

Postby dando » 04 Apr 2012, 21:05

if I'm honest I was out of work for 3 months and finding a job was a absolute ball ache to put it politely lol, I've just started in the security industry its the only option I had no other jobs unless your an experienced superman stacking shelves isn't even an option they employ more apprentices,(£2.60ph) at the moment I'm just happy to be in a job. the amount of people looking to do security recently, if people currently in security do leave and can't find work or decide to go back to the industry you may find it difficult returning , unless your lucky and have a good reputation within the industry or a company you work for currently, long hours might be a nightmare but least your in a job. (s*it work is better than no work)
dando
WTD Rookie

Postby Mike123 » 04 Apr 2012, 21:23

Security was always more of a hobby then an actual career for me, doors were good when i started and i enjoyed it, but suddenly all the new bedroom run companies started to appear from all over the place which lead to under cutting, wages decreasing by the week, etc....... at the time i was fairly young and thought i'll be ok, i'll find something else within security so got into retail, enjoyed that too for about a year and a half before i finally needed a job as a source of income rather then something at the side that i enjoyed, so got into static for a bit, but now that's gone a bit down hill too.

I think it's more because of where i live, i'm sure there are guys working in other area's and bringing home at least £500 per week from just 40 hours per week doing static but nobody is seeing that here in the Midlands lol

I would love to stay in the industry but i need to make a decent living, i want a job that will be there for me for life if i want it to be and not get a text one night saying "sorry, lost contract for the site, drop off high vis in the office, thanks"

I do have previous experience and qualifications in other area's so i'm trying to get back into that sort of stuff, i wouldn't even mind debt collection, still kind of like security in a way.. not many vacancies about though.

I will keep looking and something will eventually come up :cry:
Mike123
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby Mike123 » 04 Apr 2012, 21:30

Oh and almost forgot, CCTV license is on the way.. if that can work it's magic then i will probably stay 8)
Mike123
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby leither » 05 Apr 2012, 08:34

Mike,

if you know anyone that is earning £500 a week off 40 hours let everyone know, there will be a queue round the block.

thats about £15 per hour, more than i used to get in my full time engineering job as a skilled worker.
the only reason i left is for more money, significantly where im at now :)
leither
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby Mike123 » 05 Apr 2012, 11:09

There are a few people on those sort of wages, even £12+ for retail but those jobs hardly ever become available... well, i wouldn't want to leave either so i don't blame them

What are you doing now then??

I can either go into IT, or something more practical such as engineering, preferably installing alarm systems, CCTV and stuff like that, rather then building robots (what they taught at uni)
Mike123
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby outofmind12 » 05 Apr 2012, 15:25

Mike123 wrote:Security was always more of a hobby then an actual career for me, doors were good when i started and i enjoyed it, but suddenly all the new bedroom run companies started to appear from all over the place which lead to under cutting, wages decreasing by the week, etc....... at the time i was fairly young and thought i'll be ok, i'll find something else within security so got into retail, enjoyed that too for about a year and a half before i finally needed a job as a source of income rather then something at the side that i enjoyed, so got into static for a bit, but now that's gone a bit down hill too.

I think it's more because of where i live, i'm sure there are guys working in other area's and bringing home at least £500 per week from just 40 hours per week doing static but nobody is seeing that here in the Midlands lol

I would love to stay in the industry but i need to make a decent living, i want a job that will be there for me for life if i want it to be and not get a text one night saying "sorry, lost contract for the site, drop off high vis in the office, thanks"

I do have previous experience and qualifications in other area's so i'm trying to get back into that sort of stuff, i wouldn't even mind debt collection, still kind of like security in a way.. not many vacancies about though.

I will keep looking and something will eventually come up :cry:

I really dont think anyone has a job for life these days, unless of course you have something society cannot live without for example an experienced doctor could go anywhere on the planet and his knowledge and experience will be required regardless of what state the job market is in. But for us mere mortals jobs for life just dont exist, coppers and firemen used to think they had jobs for life, but they dont.

Something you just have to accept and learn to live with in security is that jobs will come and go quicker than you can blink, no matter what company you work for consider yourself more of a freelancer. When ever your on a site for a while, dont see it as permenant, more "I am here for the forseeable future", always expect a change on the horizon. Also it sounds like you have been working for a very small operation. Personally I would avoid them at all costs, they pick up and lose sites based on cost all the time. Look at what companies are winning contracts and get in with them. The static company I used to work for has less than 200 employees, but most of the time they have plenty of work, a proper control centre, decent office staff, they are a professional operation. Now I work for one of the biggest security firms in the country with over 4000 employees. The company I am working for now seems to be winning lots of contracts both in retail and static worlds.

Finding work should not be too hard if your experienced and have your own transport. Just dont let it get to you.

I think surviving in the industry requires you to really control your finances. Dont overstretch yourself, forget loans, credit cards, massive overdrafts, finance deals on cars... they are all traps. By all means if you can buy a house you can afford and focus your attention on paying as much of that off as you can. One day it will be paid off and life will become so much easier regardless of what job you do or how much you get paid.
Last edited by outofmind12 on 05 Apr 2012, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
outofmind12
WTD Recruit

Postby outofmind12 » 05 Apr 2012, 15:27

Mike123 wrote:There are a few people on those sort of wages, even £12+ for retail but those jobs hardly ever become available... well, i wouldn't want to leave either so i don't blame them

I can either go into IT, or something more practical such as engineering, preferably installing alarm systems, CCTV and stuff like that, rather then building robots (what they taught at uni)

If you are lucky you might MIGHT MIGHT find those kind of jobs in London, or working overseas. You will certainly not find them in the north of england. Almost all security jobs in the north pay less than £8 an hour. I get 6.50 and consider myself lucky to be slightly above minimum wage.
outofmind12
WTD Recruit

Postby Mike123 » 05 Apr 2012, 22:32

outofmind12 wrote:I really dont think anyone has a job for life these days, unless of course you have something society cannot live without for example an experienced doctor could go anywhere on the planet and his knowledge and experience will be required regardless of what state the job market is in. But for us mere mortals jobs for life just dont exist, coppers and firemen used to think they had jobs for life, but they dont.

Something you just have to accept and learn to live with in security is that jobs will come and go quicker than you can blink, no matter what company you work for consider yourself more of a freelancer. When ever your on a site for a while, dont see it as permenant, more "I am here for the forseeable future", always expect a change on the horizon. Also it sounds like you have been working for a very small operation. Personally I would avoid them at all costs, they pick up and lose sites based on cost all the time. Look at what companies are winning contracts and get in with them. The static company I used to work for has less than 200 employees, but most of the time they have plenty of work, a proper control centre, decent office staff, they are a professional operation. Now I work for one of the biggest security firms in the country with over 4000 employees. The company I am working for now seems to be winning lots of contracts both in retail and static worlds.

Finding work should not be too hard if your experienced and have your own transport. Just dont let it get to you.

I think surviving in the industry requires you to really control your finances. Dont overstretch yourself, forget loans, credit cards, massive overdrafts, finance deals on cars... they are all traps. By all means if you can buy a house you can afford and focus your attention on paying as much of that off as you can. One day it will be paid off and life will become so much easier regardless of what job you do or how much you get paid.

Great post, yh i am trying my best at the moment and i would prefer to stay in the industry but i want to keep my options open, i'm already good with my finances so would never ever waste money like that and get myself into those sort of situations.. but the thing is, ok if you work in static now... you will eventually get bored of it and will begin to look at doing something else, i would like to do that sooner rather then later. Once i'm settled into a new job, i may still be wanting that little bit of "excitement" and squeeze in a few nights of door work..

Just look at the current job adverts, £7 per hour for door work?? pretty much all other security jobs at minimum wage.. it's best to have an alternative

Minimum wage is one thing, but then you have companies refusing to give you 60 hours per week because they think it is too much which leaves you working 30 and barely earning anything once you've paid for your petrol, let alone the bills and council tax lol
Mike123
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby Mattsmith1990 » 05 Apr 2012, 23:21

outofmind12 wrote:
Mike123 wrote:There are a few people on those sort of wages, even £12+ for retail but those jobs hardly ever become available... well, i wouldn't want to leave either so i don't blame them

If you are lucky you might MIGHT MIGHT find those kind of jobs in London, or working overseas. You will certainly not find them in the north of england. Almost all security jobs in the north pay less than £8 an hour. I get 6.50 and consider myself lucky to be slightly above minimum wage.

Where abouts in the north are you?
Dirt cheap supps
http://www.myprotein.co.uk/
Use the code MP289315 when signing up and ordering.
Mattsmith1990
The Guvnor

Postby outofmind12 » 06 Apr 2012, 10:06

Mattsmith1990 wrote:
outofmind12 wrote:

Where abouts in the north are you?

Just outside of Sheffield.
outofmind12
WTD Recruit

Postby BennyJames28 » 10 Apr 2012, 10:12

Both jobs have their advantages and disadvantages. Retail they expect way too much from you and generally treat you badly. Static they expect long hours, low pay and usually your employers dont care about your working conditions. What I mean by that is they dont care if its the middle of winter, snowing, freezing cold, they dont care if your cabin has no electricity, or if the toilets dont work... they just expect you to stay there for 16 hours! Its got to be against workers rights not to have access to light and a toilet, but I have known people get sent to sites with these conditions.

It is not so bad if you have a car, you can sit in your car in between patrols to keep warm, but I would simply refuse to work somewhere without a bathroom.
BennyJames28
WTD Recruit

Postby locky1990 » 10 Apr 2012, 22:34

BennyJames28 wrote:Both jobs have their advantages and disadvantages. Retail they expect way too much from you and generally treat you badly. Static they expect long hours, low pay and usually your employers dont care about your working conditions. What I mean by that is they dont care if its the middle of winter, snowing, freezing cold, they dont care if your cabin has no electricity, or if the toilets dont work... they just expect you to stay there for 16 hours! Its got to be against workers rights not to have access to light and a toilet, but I have known people get sent to sites with these conditions.

It is not so bad if you have a car, you can sit in your car in between patrols to keep warm, but I would simply refuse to work somewhere without a bathroom.

no electricity? how would a guard even see or report logs with no leccy?
locky1990
WTD Rookie

Next

Return to Security Guarding