How long was the longest shift you have ever done??

Security Guarding Discussion

Moderators: Bulldog, Big Paul, karlbee, hippy, Door Bitch, Boz

Re: How long was the longest shift you have ever done??

Postby Mike123 » 25 Feb 2012, 21:32

outofmind12 wrote:16 and a half hours, it was my first ever shift in the security industry on a very stormy / windy night and safe to say I was shitting myself.

One of those shifts where you make sure your Maglite's within a arms reach every time you hear a sound outside :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike123
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby noise stopper » 25 Feb 2012, 22:15

Mike123 wrote:
noise stopper wrote:I've done a 48 with a couple of hour combat naps, and frankly as FB said was useless after about 15 til the next nap. I wont let my lot do longer than a 12, as you aren't sharp, productive or interested. As to something to help you pass the time, what about doing the job?

The job is basically to stay awake and answer any phone calls lol, no patrols, no check calls and anything like that, so the main thing is not getting bored really

The site can be fairly busy on certain days so i can't go to sleep, have to let people in, etc.... but even if i could sleep, i wouldn't do it on the job anyway, i don't want to wake up and find myself tied to a computer chair and guys with tights over there heads standing around me :lol:
Well not every night anyway
http://www.adporta.co.uk
It takes more than good intentions and a big bloke on the door.
noise stopper
The Guvnor

Postby outofmind12 » 25 Feb 2012, 23:10

Mike123 wrote:
outofmind12 wrote:16 and a half hours, it was my first ever shift in the security industry on a very stormy / windy night and safe to say I was shitting myself.

One of those shifts where you make sure your Maglite's within a arms reach every time you hear a sound outside :lol: :lol: :lol:

I could never afford a maglite nor the constant supply of expensive batteries required to use one week in week out. I had a £10 mains chargeable 1 million candle bullshit thing, it did the job.

I would always carry my 10 inch adjustable spanner with me. Afterall... you never know when you might have to secure a fence ;) ;)
outofmind12
WTD Recruit

Postby Mike123 » 26 Feb 2012, 13:44

I had a cheaper version of a Maglite, same size as the 4D and it didn't even work, just kept it on me because it made me feel safer spending a night on a site with 4 entrance points that were all open (not possible to close or lock them, no gate or anything, just barriers to stop vehicles... but not people :x) and broken fences all around the site on top of that.

I wouldn't have a Maglite to use as a torch myself either, not sure what the LED ones are like but the normal ones are not bright at all and the batteries are another thing.
Mike123
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby Mojo » 27 Feb 2012, 10:37

Firebird_2 wrote:
Mojo wrote:I worked on events 72 hours with 4 hours sleep on a few occasions :twisted:

And there was me thinking Showsec like to pretend that staff welfare is at the forefront.

I don't even have to answer that mate, i think you already know the answer :lol: :roll:
It's a job not an ego boost!
Mojo
The Guvnor

Postby hippy » 27 Feb 2012, 13:33

six months... :shock:
My good blade carves the casques of men,
My tough lance thrusteth sure,
My strength is as the strength of ten,
Because my heart is pure.
hippy

Postby CharlieOne » 27 Feb 2012, 16:03

36 with about 6 hrs sleep on rotation, a guy did a no show for the night shift so I offered to cover, just rst on a low risk job

(there was an extra guy to cover for breaks on a two on two off basis before any of the usual keyboard warriors want to have a cry about sleeping on the job, if ive got a 2hr break il do what i want with it)

c1
"Training is learning the rules, experience is learning the exceptions."
CharlieOne
WTD Recruit

Postby outofmind12 » 28 Feb 2012, 09:41

CharlieOne wrote:36 with about 6 hrs sleep on rotation, a guy did a no show for the night shift so I offered to cover, just rst on a low risk job

(there was an extra guy to cover for breaks on a two on two off basis before any of the usual keyboard warriors want to have a cry about sleeping on the job, if ive got a 2hr break il do what i want with it)

c1

I wish I could sleep on the job! I always heard stories from mobile supervisors of them catching people sleeping on the job, one of the supervisors seemed alright with it. He said to me that if the guard is physically fuc**d and just gets his head down for 40 minutes to perk him up for the rest of the night then he personally was ok with that. What he would never tolerate was the people who put together make-shift beds lol and kip all night.

Ive known of a few asian guards who would come to work, sleep all night, get up in the morning and go out on the taxis.

Personally I could never sleep at work, I never let myself become relaxed enough, I was always conscious of the fact that a van load of gypsies could come through my gate at any time, it happened several times, but I was always AWAKE! and ready to call the police, they never got anything from the site while I was on duty and I am proud of that.

There were a few times when I got so tired that I started to imagine hearing / seeing things because of lack of sleep. That was scary.
outofmind12
WTD Recruit

Postby doorsupervisor1990 » 29 Feb 2012, 18:47

Longest shift ive done was 18 hours, things to keep me busy were eat, do patrols, listen to the radio, eat, do patrols, read newspapers, read books, now and again (sat night when no one was on the site) watch dvds, eat AGAIN! lol, also unlimited internet & texts on my mobile helped alot.
doorsupervisor1990
WTD Recruit

Postby outofmind12 » 01 Mar 2012, 09:19

doorsupervisor1990 wrote:Longest shift ive done was 18 hours, things to keep me busy were eat, do patrols, listen to the radio, eat, do patrols, read newspapers, read books, now and again (sat night when no one was on the site) watch dvds, eat AGAIN! lol, also unlimited internet & texts on my mobile helped alot.

Smartphones are a godsend

My HTC lets you plug your phone into your laptop and use it as a mobile internet connection. Very good speeds too. Used for educational purposes only while on shift of course.
outofmind12
WTD Recruit

Postby MonkeyTrainer » 03 Mar 2012, 17:55

Not including army - 24 hours, but it was cctv room, nightshift guy called off at last moment. Had a laptop and free wireless tho, lol.
MonkeyTrainer
WTD Rookie

Postby entsec » 05 Mar 2012, 23:13

19 me ole bones was tired by then :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.entsec.co.uk entsec security solutions ltd
entsec
WTD Door Supervisor

Postby glennt66 » 13 Apr 2012, 16:13

7 days no bull got stuck in snow lucky i had some food in the kitchen to cover the days got paid for all the hours i did
One extra person can make a big difference
glennt66
WTD Rookie

Postby BennyJames28 » 13 Apr 2012, 16:19

17 hours.

Not much considering a standard static shift is anything between 12 and 16 hours. Personally I hate all the long shifts and feel sorry for anyone working 5 nights per week doing those hours. I would rather work 3 or 4 per week and have the rest of the week to live like a normal human being with normal sleep patterns and a social / family life. If you dont mind not having the latter then I suppose you will be willing to work what ever hours you need or what ever you can get.

Am I the only one who suffers with depression when working these long shifts? Especially when your doing 4+ nights in a row?
BennyJames28
WTD Recruit

Postby Firebird_2 » 13 Apr 2012, 20:00

BennyJames28 wrote:Am I the only one who suffers with depression when working these long shifts? Especially when your doing 4+ nights in a row?

Probably not the only one, but I do find myself making up mind games to play, or obstacle courses for the dog to train on in order to keep both of our minds busy.
Firebird_2
The Guvnor

PreviousNext

Return to Security Guarding