Is it hard?

This section is to discuss anything related to the Security Industry

Moderators: Bulldog, Big Paul, karlbee, hippy, Door Bitch, Boz

Is it hard?

Postby Jonesy77 » 25 Feb 2012, 18:09

Hi
New to the forum! Names Matt and im from Northern Ireland
Just wondering , i am thinking of getting my SIA License in the next month or to.
I seen alot of places are looking people with experience todo Door work , whats the best way of getting in :?:
I have been working at events and football stewarding since i was 18 im now 20
Also done retail security training
I at present so have a job doing warehouse during the week so this wouldnt be my first job unless i could get secure hours
Generally just wondering how hard is it going tobe for me to get a break and get my first piece of door work and get on the so called ladder
Thanks for any advice
Jonesy77
WTD Rookie

Re: Is it hard?

Postby Kingb » 25 Feb 2012, 18:19

Go out, walk around the town, see the Doorstaff (dont go drunk thou) introduce yourself, and see what the reponse is in the town you work, or want to work.
Welcome to the forum,
ask away with any questions
USE THE SEARCH TOOL, and you will go far.
You want the truth??? You cant handle the truth!!
Kingb
The Guvnor

Postby Jonesy77 » 25 Feb 2012, 18:29

Hey
Thanks for the reply and the welcome
Thats the only idea i could think of. I know a club owner who i am really friendly with, also one of my friends is a DJ so hopfullfully he could lend a hand
I have gathered up a good bit of my own kit from just doing events in the last few years so when i get my license i will be good togo i think :P
Jonesy77
WTD Rookie

Postby Kingb » 26 Feb 2012, 14:20

If your just doing doors, then the only gear you will need is uniform, badge holder, a decent coat if your outside and maybe a torch.
Events if you want to carry on with them as SIA staff, thats a different ball game. Look around now, as there are events companies who are recrutiing now, and will give you decent experience. NDSS are a very good company to work for.
You want the truth??? You cant handle the truth!!
Kingb
The Guvnor

Postby Firebird_2 » 26 Feb 2012, 18:28

Doors, I'd factor in a stabbie and a pair of slash-resistant gloves to your expenditure too.
Firebird_2
The Guvnor

Postby boxerdoor » 27 Feb 2012, 14:19

Firebird_2 wrote:Doors, I'd factor in a stabbie and a pair of slash-resistant gloves to your expenditure too.

muscle T and long johns :lol:

boxer.
boxerdoor
The Guvnor

Postby ballantyne78 » 27 Feb 2012, 17:21

And a wheelbarrow for your bollocks given some of the new ones in our town!
We are the willing, led by the unknowing, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful, we have now done so much, for so long - for so many, with so little, we can now do anything with nothing!!!
ballantyne78
The Guvnor

Postby Jonesy77 » 27 Feb 2012, 18:09

Where is company NDSS based?
Ive got slash resistant gloves already and a stabbie is another thing on my list of wants :P
Jonesy77
WTD Rookie

Postby Firebird_2 » 27 Feb 2012, 21:35

NDSS are based in Cardiff but work many locations across the UK.

I agree with Ben - they have a lot of good people on their staff, many that I'd gladly work with again. They don't tend to suffer fools though, which is quite refreshing in the events industry.
Firebird_2
The Guvnor

Postby IDS » 27 Mar 2012, 15:26

IDS here from Norn Iron as well based in the North West!

Eventsec (Belfast Based)
http://www.eventsec.co.uk/
The Odyssey Arena 2 Queens Quay Belfast BT3 9QQ T: +44 (0) 28 9076 6084 F: +44 (0) 28 9076 6085

Estate Services Iona (derry based)
http://www.estateservicesiona.com/
Unit 1 Iona Business Park, Derry, BT48 9LH, T: 028 7126 7268, F: 028 7137 7014

These two companies are the two largest in Northern Ireland Events sec do a lot of event work/ foot ball matches but also have a lot of doors up around Belshaft ive worked along side them at Electric picnic and Oxegen festival and they are good bunch of lads with the odd jacket filler in the mix :lol:

Estate services are the largest Door firm but all of there work is in Derry and surrounding areas so may be no good to you, however they offer a training program that is funded by the dole and another community organisation there trainer is a good friend of mine and very experienced who runs a very good course!

Any other help you need give me a shout

IDS
I AM THE SWORD OF MY FAMILY AND SHIELD OF MY NATION, IF SENT I WILL CRUSH EVERYTHING YOU HAVE BUILT, BURN ALL THAT YOU LOVE, AND KILL EVERY ONE OF YOU
IDS
The Guvnor

Postby Big Paul » 28 Mar 2012, 10:14

What IDS says and welcome to the forum also. Drop me a PM with the town/city you are from as I have a lot of mates working doors in all areas of "Norn Iron" and I'll see if I can put you in touch with a few. The DHSS/Jobmarket would probably fund your course on condition you get a letter of offer of work from a venue owner.

Tis better to be quiet and be thought a fool, than speak and remove all doubt.
Big Paul

Return to Security Related Discussion