sorry still fuming..

Door Supervisor Discussion

Moderators: Bulldog, Big Paul, karlbee, hippy, Door Bitch, Boz

sorry still fuming..

Postby Tsunami » 19 Feb 2012, 02:56

Just a quicky, still fuming because of losing a large detailed post thanks to wonders of modern day technology and the nerds who make all f-ups possible,
1 man door, Posh town + anal copper with nothing better to do than bombard with questions and take details of badge etc when everythings fine... :evil: thoughts appreciated as always..
Tsunami
WTD Recruit

Re: sorry still fuming..

Postby monkeydave » 19 Feb 2012, 09:30

is there a question within this rambling?
monkeydave
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby Tsunami » 19 Feb 2012, 13:55

last night i was caught off guard a bit - questions about my badge, expiry ect, numbers in and max capacity to which i couldnt give an accurate reply, im new on this door but everyone appears more than happy with me there. The visitation last night though made me wonder if im doing my job properly, i did appear unprofessional im guessing, i admit i slipped up im just anxious to know what or if anything could come from the suprise meeting, the copper wanted to know my name and company and their other local venues, my first aid certificate,when it expires blah blah, anyone else with similar experiences?
Tsunami
WTD Recruit

Postby danny56o » 19 Feb 2012, 14:43

Just a few questions I would of asked the copper back. 1. Why is it relivant when your first aid cert runs out.
2. Why does he want your badge number and expiry date.
3. If your not tasked with holding the clickers and doing the counting how could you possibly know the exact number in. As you said the only thing you got muddled with was the capacity number when he asked you for it all the other questions to me seem non relivant unless there was an incident
Adapt and overcome
danny56o
The Guvnor

Postby Tsunami » 19 Feb 2012, 14:54

Thanks Danny, although im working a one man door covering 3 entrances/exits i was able to give a guesstimate head count of 40, ive since found out the maximum capacity of 150 although its not set in stone, he did have me on the defensive really from the off but im not letting that happen again, that was the first time a copper has caught me with my pants down while wtd's
Tsunami
WTD Recruit

Postby markwp » 19 Feb 2012, 15:17

Tsunami wrote:Thanks Danny, although im working a one man door covering 3 entrances/exits i was able to give a guesstimate head count of 40, ive since found out the maximum capacity of 150 although its not set in stone, he did have me on the defensive really from the off but im not letting that happen again, that was the first time a copper has caught me with my pants down while wtd's

With the greatest respect fella, I would be more worried about working a ''one man door'' than plod asking questions that you cant answer! :evil: :evil:
markwp
WTD Door Supervisor

Postby caneo » 19 Feb 2012, 15:23

Sidestepping the 1 man door issues as a whole, how does 1 man cover three points of entry / exit?

In my experience it's quite normal for Plod to take DS licence details, ask about numbers in etc - We also get asked about drinks promotions, who the personal licence holder is etc, just all part of the premises licencing checks nowadays. Not sure why the FAW was of interest to them, it's impractical for the DS to act as the designated first aider anyway, even more so on a 1 man door!! As you're new he may well just be finding out a bit about you.

As for not knowing the fire regs limits, you don't really need me to tell you that's one of the first things you need to find out. Bet you won't make that mistake again :shock:
Do i look like i'm joking ??
caneo
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby parajack » 19 Feb 2012, 15:40

:shock: The copper is doing his job,he has every right to ask you such Q,whats the big deal?and why are you working a one man door with 3 entrances exits?how on earth can you control capacity? i would have challenged you too,not to mention the venue mngt....YOU should have known the capacity,and GUESTIMATE.....???? what use would that be if you were overcapacity?
No mate,you appear to me to be defensive about something routine,and those posting in support of your original post need in my view to revist their thinking....as do you :roll:
Utrinque Paratus:RIP Ryan Joe Parry 15 killed in the sheffield floods,i think about you often son.
parajack
The Guvnor

Postby Tsunami » 19 Feb 2012, 16:28

Yes thankyou i was angry for not knowing and not exactly composed while writing i agree i should have known, the 1 man door thing though is the venues decision,the bosses and my choice as i need the work simply put, believe it or not, it is possible to cover the 3 entrances if standing between the 2 out front walking to and from while monitering the dead end road which leads out to the back entrance, most people will come and leave via the front, the place is quite unlikely to ever reach full capacity typical average night peaks at 30 - 40, im more concerned with underagers and keeping out the wronguns, only had to bar 3 people since Xmas for minor misbehaviour, i would like to know ive got backing from old bill if needed, they were brilliant at my previous venue which was a hellhole and had everyones respect being old school and a good laugh, the copper last night though did nothing to make me feel like we were on good terms and should be trying to build good relations considering i am on my own,his colleague did seem more approachable though but i have heard round this area that old bill tend to stand back when ds are up against it..
Tsunami
WTD Recruit

Postby markwp » 19 Feb 2012, 16:36

Tsunami wrote:Yes thankyou i was angry for not knowing and not exactly composed while writing i agree i should have known, the 1 man door thing though is the venues decision,the bosses and my choice as i need the work simply put, believe it or not, it is possible to cover the 3 entrances if standing between the 2 out front walking to and from while monitering the dead end road which leads out to the back entrance, most people will come and leave via the front, the place is quite unlikely to ever reach full capacity typical average night peaks at 30 - 40, im more concerned with underagers and keeping out the wronguns, only had to bar 3 people since Xmas for minor misbehaviour, i would like to know ive got backing from old bill if needed, they were brilliant at my previous venue which was a hellhole and had everyones respect being old school and a good laugh, the copper last night though did nothing to make me feel like we were on good terms and should be trying to build good relations considering i am on my own,his colleague did seem more approachable though but i have heard round this area that old bill tend to stand back when ds are up against it..

Ah the old good cop bad cop routine :lol:

It may be they are just looking at the venue because it is only a one man door and checking what is in place ? beleive it or not some Police forces dont like one man doors the same as us, either way I wouldnt worry about too much, use it as a wake up call for the regs etc, worst case you may get some company with a new oppo! :lol:
markwp
WTD Door Supervisor

Postby Tsunami » 19 Feb 2012, 17:14

Cheers for the replys, can always rely on sound advice from this forum guys
Tsunami
WTD Recruit

Postby danny56o » 19 Feb 2012, 21:37

parajack wrote::shock: The copper is doing his job,he has every right to ask you such Q,whats the big deal?and why are you working a one man door with 3 entrances exits?how on earth can you control capacity? i would have challenged you too,not to mention the venue mngt....YOU should have known the capacity,and GUESTIMATE.....???? what use would that be if you were overcapacity?
No mate,you appear to me to be defensive about something routine,and those posting in support of your original post need in my view to revist their thinking....as do you :roll:
if by the others you meant me para then I still stand by my questions in my post. Why would the police officer need badge number and
Expiry date by all means ask to see it but the way I read the post it was as if he was noting this down. And the first aid expiry again is not really any of the policemans business unless the op had messed up treating a injured person or something again this is just the way I interprete the orignal post.
Adapt and overcome
danny56o
The Guvnor

Postby Purple » 19 Feb 2012, 22:59

I saw this one earlier, but decided it was a none-event – this now seems to be changing, so here's my sixpence worth.

The Copper is having a nose, he want's to know how clued up the DS are on his patch – who he can trust to be on the ball etc.

Name – rank – serial number …..... what's to protest about that ?

First Aid cert – well – now he knows you have one, its date is relavant, so again – straight question.

How many in – over what capacity …... you are the one on the door – it's not an unreasonable question, and on that one point, yes, you fell.

Other doors by your company on that patch ? - not your responsibility to know – give him the companies contact details and tell him to ask them.

That Coppers approach was intimidating and probing – you are DS – treat him accordingly – tell him what he has a right to know – and block or fend off the rest.

He was testing you – judging you – maybe part of his job, maybe not – but in his place i'd do the same ….. “know your team”.

I'm guessing you know what to improve on now, so let's move on to the next time ….. get his name, get to know the man – work “with” him. If he's a professional, that's what he wants. He's relying on you to take care of business before he has to get involved – same as you will be relying on him to take care of business “if” it happens.

“Team”

It's all about mutual trust – that's why he was probing you.
Purple
WTD Rookie

Postby danny56o » 19 Feb 2012, 23:38

Purple wrote:I saw this one earlier, but decided it was a none-event – this now seems to be changing, so here's my sixpence worth.

The Copper is having a nose, he want's to know how clued up the DS are on his patch – who he can trust to be on the ball etc.

Name – rank – serial number …..... what's to protest about that ?

First Aid cert – well – now he knows you have one, its date is relavant, so again – straight question.

How many in – over what capacity …... you are the one on the door – it's not an unreasonable question, and on that one point, yes, you fell.

Other doors by your company on that patch ? - not your responsibility to know – give him the companies contact details and tell him to ask them.

That Coppers approach was intimidating and probing – you are DS – treat him accordingly – tell him what he has a right to know – and block or fend off the rest.

He was testing you – judging you – maybe part of his job, maybe not – but in his place i'd do the same ….. “know your team”.

I'm guessing you know what to improve on now, so let's move on to the next time ….. get his name, get to know the man – work “with” him. If he's a professional, that's what he wants. He's relying on you to take care of business before he has to get involved – same as you will be relying on him to take care of business “if” it happens.

“Team”

It's all about mutual trust – that's why he was probing you.
maybe its me being stupid but still can't see why its relevant to the police when the first aid cert runs out.
Adapt and overcome
danny56o
The Guvnor

Postby superstacker » 20 Feb 2012, 12:10

Sometimes it's not about the questions you are asked, it's how confident you are at answering it ;)
superstacker
WTD Door Supervisor

Next

Return to Door Supervisors