CH4 one off episode - Newport Bouncers

Door Supervisor Discussion

Moderators: Bulldog, Big Paul, karlbee, hippy, Door Bitch, Boz

Re: CH4 one off episode - Newport Bouncers

Postby doggyc69 » 05 Feb 2012, 21:57

ash11 wrote:I don't think anything is wrong with the customers same old drunken people you will get any city centre, it was the DS who where the prats.

agreed 8)
never trust a fart :-)
doggyc69
The Guvnor

Postby richnp20 » 05 Feb 2012, 22:41

Hi everyone and apologies for taking so long to reply to you all.

Many issues being raised from the programme, I hope I can answer them all.

The biggest question is why we agreed to do the film in the first place? - Well we were contacted by Century Films just over a year ago and the researcher told us that they were looking to do a film based on how the Sia had changed the face of the modern door world. We thought this was an amazing idea as Newport had suffered hard times, it's night life was pretty amazing and it fell in line with stuff that we were doing with the Police and Newport Council in making the night time economy safer and more friendly. On this basis they sent a film crew down to do a taster tape which involved them following us about, this was then sent to Channel Four who gave them the fastest commission ever! - Filming started at the end of March as I recall.

They shot over 400 hours of footage, including stuff about us at home and our private and family lives, they also filmed some really positive stuff including how our guys talked down a gang of youths who were attempting to attack another as well as how we assisted in arrests for domestic violence.

The recruitment scenes were cut together to show us loading pissed up people into minibuses to go to Gay Pride, The point was that we had a new client and although we had a huge bank of staff that we could have sent to the event, we wanted to recruit a team from the gay community - this took place over several days and wasn't a purely last minute thing as the documentary shows. As anyone in the events industry knows, staff can be unreliable and as Murphy's law would have it - that's exactly what happened on the morning of departure for the event. We had to cover our commitment our client and what you actually see is members of my team talking to guys who had already been recruited and were out in that venue that night. No one who was intoxicated was placed at the event and the feedback from the client show that it was one of the best teams there on the day. - These were all event stewards and not security staff - they are not required to be licensed (yet!)

The guy working the gay venue was not on his own - there was another guy inside the venue who didn't want to be filmed. All our doormen across our venues are equipped with professional quality radio sets that linked them all together. As well as this they all used the standard CCTV comms. radios and yes, fake radio calls to the old bill are something that the lads are trained to use - it's a very useful tool in the armoury.

Joe's comments - Joe is a great guy and an excellent doorman, however he does speak his mind, despite Channel 4's denials of clever editing, I can assure you that it was very much edited! - his comments reflected situation that were happening around him - were they politically correct? - no. Did his comments reflect my views and those of the company - no. Were they his opinion of the people and the situations around him - most certainly, but who here hasn't said or thought the same thing when working a door? That's not to say that he should have aired those views in front of over five million people but the film was designed to shock and outrage and all the positive comments that Joe came out with about the improvements in Newport were not aired.

I implore you guys to open your minds - we had one of the best reputations in the business and we set out to promote Newport and our own corporate values, I do not believe that the film was a true reflection of either.

As for the reformation of the company - this is quite a complicated subject and not really something that I feel is relevant to the show, suffice to say nothing illegal or unethical has taken place and I'm sure the new owners of the reformed company would say the same. It's not anything to do with me now. As an experienced Close Protection Officer, my calling lies there.

Please feel free to comment, it may take me some time to reply but I certainly will.
richnp20
WTD Rookie

Postby Harry Hess » 05 Feb 2012, 22:47

richnp20 wrote:Hi everyone and apologies for taking so long to reply to you all.

Many issues being raised from the programme, I hope I can answer them all.

The biggest question is why we agreed to do the film in the first place? - Well we were contacted by Century Films just over a year ago and the researcher told us that they were looking to do a film based on how the Sia had changed the face of the modern door world. We thought this was an amazing idea as Newport had suffered hard times, it's night life was pretty amazing and it fell in line with stuff that we were doing with the Police and Newport Council in making the night time economy safer and more friendly. On this basis they sent a film crew down to do a taster tape which involved them following us about, this was then sent to Channel Four who gave them the fastest commission ever! - Filming started at the end of March as I recall.

They shot over 400 hours of footage, including stuff about us at home and our private and family lives, they also filmed some really positive stuff including how our guys talked down a gang of youths who were attempting to attack another as well as how we assisted in arrests for domestic violence.

The recruitment scenes were cut together to show us loading pissed up people into minibuses to go to Gay Pride, The point was that we had a new client and although we had a huge bank of staff that we could have sent to the event, we wanted to recruit a team from the gay community - this took place over several days and wasn't a purely last minute thing as the documentary shows. As anyone in the events industry knows, staff can be unreliable and as Murphy's law would have it - that's exactly what happened on the morning of departure for the event. We had to cover our commitment our client and what you actually see is members of my team talking to guys who had already been recruited and were out in that venue that night. No one who was intoxicated was placed at the event and the feedback from the client show that it was one of the best teams there on the day. - These were all event stewards and not security staff - they are not required to be licensed (yet!)

The guy working the gay venue was not on his own - there was another guy inside the venue who didn't want to be filmed. All our doormen across our venues are equipped with professional quality radio sets that linked them all together. As well as this they all used the standard CCTV comms. radios and yes, fake radio calls to the old bill are something that the lads are trained to use - it's a very useful tool in the armoury.

Joe's comments - Joe is a great guy and an excellent doorman, however he does speak his mind, despite Channel 4's denials of clever editing, I can assure you that it was very much edited! - his comments reflected situation that were happening around him - were they politically correct? - no. Did his comments reflect my views and those of the company - no. Were they his opinion of the people and the situations around him - most certainly, but who here hasn't said or thought the same thing when working a door? That's not to say that he should have aired those views in front of over five million people but the film was designed to shock and outrage and all the positive comments that Joe came out with about the improvements in Newport were not aired.

I implore you guys to open your minds - we had one of the best reputations in the business and we set out to promote Newport and our own corporate values, I do not believe that the film was a true reflection of either.

As for the reformation of the company - this is quite a complicated subject and not really something that I feel is relevant to the show, suffice to say nothing illegal or unethical has taken place and I'm sure the new owners of the reformed company would say the same. It's not anything to do with me now. As an experienced Close Protection Officer, my calling lies there.

Please feel free to comment, it may take me some time to reply but I certainly will.

Rich, good reply.....you have been royally shafted by the film production company...good luck anyway mate.
Harry Hess
WTD Door Supervisor

Postby Firebird_2 » 05 Feb 2012, 22:58

Thanks Rich. Appreciate the replies - Is it fair to say that your experienced staff chose not to sign a model release and would rather stay off film, whilst your fledglings were a little more excitable at the thought of getting their face on camera?

I've asked Century to come on here and either give us a statement or get involved, and as yet they've chosen not to respond to me, which tends to add a bit of cred to what you're saying. I do think it was naive to go ahead with filming, and at least a couple of people on here refused to enter in to discussions with them when contacted to join in on this. I can't believe 400 hours was condensed in to 46 minutes :(

I don't think it's done Newport any wrongs, the town is a sh1thole - I'd rather drive to Cardiff for a coffee than go in to town, but it has done no favours for our profession. The context it was shown in, it's correct that your old lads lost their jobs.
Firebird_2
The Guvnor

Postby richnp20 » 06 Feb 2012, 03:16

No, it's not true. Jamie gave up the doors to work as full time day security in the retail sector, Joe had been planning to quit the doors for some time and decided after the show to give up. Geraint joined a different company but is taking some horrendous abuse from the public and the industry which is totally unfair as he is a 1st class doorman and anyone who has worked with him will tell you the same.

As far as the releases go, yes a lot of the guys didn't want to be filmed for their own reasons. Both Joe and Geraint were reluctant at first but were convinced by me to take part. I have to accept responsibility for that but it must be remembered that throughout the whole shoot and in the weeks leading up to it, we were assured that Newport and my old company would be shown in a favourable light.
richnp20
WTD Rookie

Postby ESM Ltd » 06 Feb 2012, 11:15

Admit it Rich you think my poster is funny :lol:
ESM Ltd
The Guvnor

Postby karlbee » 06 Feb 2012, 11:26

Thanks for that Rich, good of you to take the time to explain and clarify a few points. An edditted 45 mins out of 400 hrs can be made to look like anything. I said before the program was shown that it will be made to make the best TV not what was real. Good luck for the future Rich, a warning to us all to be very wary when been filmed.
Any fool can make money,a clever man knows how to keep it. Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity.
karlbee

Postby Firebird_2 » 06 Feb 2012, 11:30

karlbee wrote:Thanks for that Rich, good of you to take the time to explain and clarify a few points. An edditted 45 mins out of 400 hrs can be made to look like anything. I said before the program was shown that it will be made to make the best TV not what was real. Good luck for the future Rich, a warning to us all to be very wary when been filmed.

yep - I remember about 10 years ago with St John, stretchering a player off at a Wasps game and telling the sky cameraman to get the f**k out of my way - I was streamed to television sets around the world mouthing this to the cameraman :roll:
Firebird_2
The Guvnor

Postby Jimjam90 » 06 Feb 2012, 17:39

Hi. I'm the Jamie Yarnold the lad from the cabaret bar. I've noticed people mentioning my experience on here I would like to point out that I have worked the doors for over 2 years and have had help from some of the more experienced guys also. As for the radio call I was taught the fake call by my former employer as a way to diffuse situations. I did the show to help people understand what we have to deal with on a weekend. It was nice to see people's view on this whether it be good or bad. It all helps me to see what I need to do to better myself as everyone can learn new tricks when on the door
Jimjam90
WTD Rookie

Postby Jimjam90 » 06 Feb 2012, 17:41

Also at the start of filming I was on my own but my employer identified that 2 DS was needed
Jimjam90
WTD Rookie

Postby karlbee » 06 Feb 2012, 17:47

Jimjam90 wrote:Hi. I'm the Jamie Yarnold the lad from the cabaret bar. I've noticed people mentioning my experience on here I would like to point out that I have worked the doors for over 2 years and have had help from some of the more experienced guys also. As for the radio call I was taught the fake call by my former employer as a way to diffuse situations. I did the show to help people understand what we have to deal with on a weekend. It was nice to see people's view on this whether it be good or bad. It all helps me to see what I need to do to better myself as everyone can learn new tricks when on the door

Thanks for joining up Jamie and having your say in the matter. Is it right you have all been binned ?
Any fool can make money,a clever man knows how to keep it. Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity.
karlbee

Postby Firebird_2 » 06 Feb 2012, 17:50

Jimjam90 wrote:Hi. I'm the Jamie Yarnold the lad from the cabaret bar. I've noticed people mentioning my experience on here I would like to point out that I have worked the doors for over 2 years and have had help from some of the more experienced guys also. As for the radio call I was taught the fake call by my former employer as a way to diffuse situations. I did the show to help people understand what we have to deal with on a weekend. It was nice to see people's view on this whether it be good or bad. It all helps me to see what I need to do to better myself as everyone can learn new tricks when on the door

Welcome to the forum Jamie, I'm one of the ones that thought the show made you look inexperienced; and to allow them to film your missus face was (in my opinion) negligent on someone's part. The look on your face with the fat bird was that of fear. Two years is nothing in this trade mate - I was still an unofficial apprentice at that point.

Now you've found WtD, forget your 48 minutes of fame, stick around, and join in a bit on here - we don't bite.. usually.
Firebird_2
The Guvnor

Postby syko » 06 Feb 2012, 18:01

Firebird_2 wrote:Thanks Rich. Appreciate the replies - Is it fair to say that your experienced staff chose not to sign a model release and would rather stay off film, whilst your fledglings were a little more excitable at the thought of getting their face on camera?

I've asked Century to come on here and either give us a statement or get involved, and as yet they've chosen not to respond to me, which tends to add a bit of cred to what you're saying. I do think it was naive to go ahead with filming, and at least a couple of people on here refused to enter in to discussions with them when contacted to join in on this. I can't believe 400 hours was condensed in to 46 minutes :(

I don't think it's done Newport any wrongs, the town is a sh1thole - I'd rather drive to Cardiff for a coffee than go in to town, but it has done no favours for our profession. The context it was shown in, it's correct that your old lads lost their jobs.

400hrs edited into 46 mins is easier than you'd think!!!! they filmed a couple of years back in wakefield for months and i did bloody alsorts for a cameo :lol: :lol: :lol: and was filmed in several scenes with some pretty gritty stuff but in the end i think i was shown once and that was only the back of my head disappearing into a venue to break up a fight :shock: :shock: i was far from amused as id had my hair done especially :roll: :roll:
Always
Be
Cool
Dont
Entertain
Fools!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
syko
The Guvnor

Postby Jimjam90 » 06 Feb 2012, 18:12

I don't question my experience I'm learning everyday and getting tips from my uncle who has over 20 years experience as well as help from rich and Len. Looking at it now I regret doing it but it's another learning curve. I wish they never showed my misses now but they wanted a day in the life of a doorman. I have not been sacked also I have new commitments working as loss prevention supervisor and my shifts conflict with the door
Jimjam90
WTD Rookie

Postby ESM Ltd » 06 Feb 2012, 18:45

Think this should be put to bed now ,End the day CH4 fuc**d you up the arse thats a FACT
You all showed off a bit in front the cameras and i think we all would if we thought they were goin to make us look good
The big guy with the hair is the main one in my eyes who let the industry down as it was obvious he wanted to be the next to be picked for celebrity big brother.

End of the day a learning curve for you all.
ESM Ltd
The Guvnor

PreviousNext

Return to Door Supervisors