Becoming a Trainer

This section is to discuss anything related to the Security Industry

Moderators: Bulldog, Big Paul, karlbee, hippy, Door Bitch, Boz

Becoming a Trainer

Postby 99andcoe » 03 Feb 2012, 21:05

Hello guys,

I've been working in the Security Industry for just over 1 year in a non front line control room.
At the beginning of this week i attending my Door Supervisors course and found it quite a revelation! I understand that i am very new to the security industry and that i have a long way to go before I can start pursuing the route on delivering and invigilating SIA approved training courses, but where should i start?

I am confident within myself, and believe that with the correct training I could work very well in this side of the industry, making my own mark on the up and coming security personnel hitting the doors, gatehouses ect. I can confirm i will not forget the 2 Guys who taught me, Chris & Marcus.

Also what's the estimated prices of the training and qualifications to do this? Also abit of a long shot but is there any companies out there take potential trainers on to teach them? and then provide them with a position? Because I feel that I could get every qualification out there but surly gaining experience is also key?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Andy
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give. - Winston Chruchill
99andcoe
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Re: Becoming a Trainer

Postby arKmm » 03 Feb 2012, 21:19

Teaching people to pass their SIA licence and teaching them how to be a doorman/guard are two different things and the only real way to be able to do the second one is to go and do it yourself. If you've never done the job yourself, how could you show others how to do it?

I am by no means someone who has this experience, I've never worked a door either.
arKmm
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby 99andcoe » 03 Feb 2012, 21:26

I agree with the knowing the job, that was my first port of call..
But it was where to head from there?
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give. - Winston Chruchill
99andcoe
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby noise stopper » 04 Feb 2012, 23:01

When you have worked the doors, done static/corporate retail etc for about 5-6 years, then at that point you may be in a position to teach the courses, or you could join Get Licencious tomorrow! See one, do one teach one was never more appropriate unless you intend to teach control room ops.
It takes more than good intentions and a big bloke on the door.
noise stopper
The Guvnor

Postby 99andcoe » 05 Feb 2012, 18:59

Noise stopper...

I am not intending in getting into training tommorow, i do understand that i need to work hard at the job to learn the skills to pass on!!

The point i am asking is so i can start taking the steps to get the correct qualifications so when the times right im ready to rock and roll, as it can be costly...
99andcoe
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby noise stopper » 05 Feb 2012, 19:02

99andcoe wrote:Noise stopper...

I am not intending in getting into training tommorow, i do understand that i need to work hard at the job to learn the skills to pass on!!

The point i am asking is so i can start taking the steps to get the correct qualifications so when the times right im ready to rock and roll, as it can be costly...

Experience and PTTLS then
noise stopper
The Guvnor

Postby 99andcoe » 05 Feb 2012, 22:26

Thanks buddy, What qualification is required to teach the PI aspect?
99andcoe
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby noise stopper » 05 Feb 2012, 23:49

99andcoe wrote:Thanks buddy, What qualification is required to teach the PI aspect?

There is actually a dedicated course I believe, have a look in the training courses section, they are up quite often.
noise stopper
The Guvnor

Postby ESM Ltd » 15 Feb 2012, 20:51

1/you need pttls
2/1886 cm cert
3/L3 pi qual
4/you dont need experience theres loads like you been in the job 5 mins and think they can train its whats said after you have trained them you need to worry about..........

My advice wait a bit and then shadow a trainer
ESM Ltd
The Guvnor

Postby 99andcoe » 16 Feb 2012, 00:00

Evo,

Thankyou very much for your information... Dont worry I will not be planning to train tomorrow, i would like experience in a few different roles first.
99andcoe
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby Charlibubbles » 03 Apr 2012, 09:03

I don't know if this is relevant to you, but I work for Elite Urban Defence Academy Ltd I do am only the Secretary and have not worked on the doors myself so you probably know more about this than me but you can choose whether my advice is relevant or not.
We are going to be starting a CPD course "Confidence and Awareness in Security". We also provide combatives training that includes scenario training.
It's not a course to become a trainer but we do have a free networking event coming up to also promote out new "C.A.S." course and we also train a wide range of people from, Directors of Security Companies, Door Supervisors, CP Operatives etc
I think networking is the key to this Industry as the people that do the job, tell each other what courses are worth doing with what company and where best to start.
If our gym in Southampton is too far away for you to attend our networking event it might be a good idea to check through forums and add sites for other events around the country.
Hope this helps, if not disregard lol
Good luck Andy!
Charlibubbles
WTD Rookie

Return to Security Related Discussion