Secrets of the shoplifter (Channel 4, 10pm tonight)

Security Guarding Discussion

Moderators: Bulldog, Big Paul, karlbee, hippy, Door Bitch, Boz

Secrets of the shoplifter (Channel 4, 10pm tonight)

Postby Mike123 » 16 Jan 2012, 21:19

Make sure you watch it!

It should be available to watch online afterwards so don't worry if you miss it tonight.
Mike123
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Re: Secrets of the shoplifter (Channel 4, 10pm tonight)

Postby noise stopper » 16 Jan 2012, 22:29

Please tell me those two muppets from Brighton are not members here? I honestly thought it was a spoof when they were on screen!
It takes more than good intentions and a big bloke on the door.
noise stopper
The Guvnor

Postby Mattsmith1990 » 16 Jan 2012, 22:42

Working on their days off for free? Absolute idiots.
Dirt cheap supps
http://www.myprotein.co.uk/
Use the code MP289315 when signing up and ordering.
Mattsmith1990
The Guvnor

Postby Maiday » 16 Jan 2012, 23:26

The girl who lives with me made me watch desperate scouse wives instead :roll:

watching it on 4od now heres the link if anyone wants it.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/secr ... ifters/4od
Maiday
WTD Recruit

Postby Mike123 » 17 Jan 2012, 00:10

noise stopper wrote:Please tell me those two muppets from Brighton are not members here? I honestly thought it was a spoof when they were on screen!

I'm sure i saw them mentioned in the thread about the doormen documentary, which is also meant to be coming on Channel 4 any day now.

These guys were unreal, the lot of them.
Mike123
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby Maiday » 17 Jan 2012, 00:19

Mike123 wrote:
noise stopper wrote:Please tell me those two muppets from Brighton are not members here? I honestly thought it was a spoof when they were on screen!

I'm sure i saw them mentioned in the thread about the doormen documentary, which is also meant to be coming on Channel 4 any day now.

These guys were unreal, the lot of them.

I think its on the 30th, PlatformAccounting said its on the 23rd but theres a show about paramedics on on the 23rd and i cant see whats on on the 30th yet.
Maiday
WTD Recruit

Postby noise stopper » 17 Jan 2012, 07:27

It was the bit where the Shoplifter after being threatened by the chunky bald one pretends to aim a punch at the guys unprotected nads, and the shop security all but yell "PIG PILE!" and leap on him, before baldy has even realised what is going on. I watched it and genuinely thought they and the comedy shoplifter were a "Brass Tacks" style thing. Or a new Fast Show sketch "You see this meat.......I'll have that away cos I'm a geezer!" :lol:
It takes more than good intentions and a big bloke on the door.
noise stopper
The Guvnor

Postby btnds » 17 Jan 2012, 09:08

A Few things to note from this

1) Detaining whilst you are not working and have not witnessed any part of the theft (As demonstrated by these two when they make a stop outside a sports shop) - I'm Pretty certain they arent performing a citizens arrest nor at any time did you hear them explain anything to the detained party
2) Insurance - Why oh Why would you put yourself at the risk of getting hurt or getting sued when not reciveing financial renumeration from anybody
3) Using the ShopWatch Radio when not on duty and acting on the information passed on it - Possible Breach of Data Protection

Not knocking people for doing a hard job, but it might just be the way the footage was edited and put together that made it look more of a farse than it is.

Any more thoughts ?
btnds
WTD Recruit

Postby jaktlad » 17 Jan 2012, 09:31

oh.... have i missed something?? so this was actually real?? silly me, i thought it was one of them new comedy value soap drama shows lol.
jaktlad
The Guvnor

Postby karlbee » 17 Jan 2012, 09:36

I agree about the editting,programs need to appeal to wider audiences so are often dumded down or sexed up. I thought it was an entertaining program showing the cat and mouse game between security and shoplifters. What i cant understand is why a store detective would want to be filmed, its hard enough not getting twigged without been on TV showing where you work.
Any fool can make money,a clever man knows how to keep it. Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity.
karlbee

Postby outofmind12 » 17 Jan 2012, 09:37

I really enjoyed the show. Channel 4 obviously found guys who work like those did because lets face it, it makes better TV.

I got the impression they were all gagging for a physical fight, not just trying to do their jobs.

What happened to SCONE? I know in some situations SCONE goes out the window, but some of those on the show were just asking for trouble. They were lucky to be working with a team. Most of us are on our own most of the time with no back up, all this grabbing people based on hearsay and dragging them back to the store, is it any wonder they have been assaulted so bloody often?

Either way, I enjoyed the show and if they made another program I would probably watch it. At the end of the day they were all keen and trying to do the job the best they can to get results for employers, which reflects well on the industry.

I just question whether they would have all been getting so physical if there was no TV cameras following them?

I am also supprised nobody here has mentioned the utter scum shoplifters featured on the show... im not talking about the middle class woman knicking wine from M&S, I mean the crack head prick and the guy from Sheffield who knicks to order. They know their rights more than their wrongs, and deserve a good kick in.
outofmind12
WTD Recruit

Postby karlbee » 17 Jan 2012, 10:09

agree about the scum, I have scaled down the amount of store tecing I do due to the amount of scum you have to deal with. Liked the bit where he is staring at the CCTV willing the person to steal, something I often do, much to the amusement of the store manager.
Any fool can make money,a clever man knows how to keep it. Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity.
karlbee

Postby outofmind12 » 17 Jan 2012, 10:15

The lady with the 3 train sets (apparently worth 400 quid) was handled very badly. They had no idea whether she had them on her and based their actions of chasing her down the street, grabbing her bag of her on "it looks like theres something in her bag but i cant be sure what".

At the very least he could have gone up to her and said "I am security from blah blah store, while you were in the shop you were carrying 3 train sets, where did they go?" Or maybe just ask her to come back as the manager would like to speak to her? Just dont go grabbing her bag and accusing her of stealing.

The police turned up for that one as well. They should get done for wasting police time. SCONE needs to be used for a bloody reason!

Of course in that situation what had actually happened was she stashed the train sets for somebody else to come pick up (most likely the boyfriend she was with outside the shop). But that does not justify the way the security team acted.
Last edited by outofmind12 on 17 Jan 2012, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
outofmind12
WTD Recruit

Postby pacman88 » 17 Jan 2012, 10:19

when the guy and woman were in stealing perfume, the guy had it stashed on him, he was lithuanian i think, he took them back into the wee office and sat them down and asked them if he took it, he said "no i put it back, lets go and i will show you" then he gets round the corner and dumps the gear, so it means his word against the security guys, shouldnt have the security said wait until the police arrive so the guy never had a chance to get back onto the shop floor to ditch it?
pacman88
WTD Recruit

Postby outofmind12 » 17 Jan 2012, 10:26

pacman88 wrote:when the guy and woman were in stealing perfume, the guy had it stashed on him, he was lithuanian i think, he took them back into the wee office and sat them down and asked them if he took it, he said "no i put it back, lets go and i will show you" then he gets round the corner and dumps the gear, so it means his word against the security guys, shouldnt have the security said wait until the police arrive so the guy never had a chance to get back onto the shop floor to ditch it?

Most of the time its the word of the security guard / store manager against that of the shoplifter anyway. If they had SCONE and were 100% certain he had not already dumped the items, aka he had them in his possession then the right thing to do would have been to wait for the police. I guess it was down to the confidence of the guards.... were they 100% sure? They cant have been.

Everyone makes mistakes at the end of the day.
outofmind12
WTD Recruit

Next

Return to Security Guarding