Christmas annual leave refused not to set a precedent.

Security Guarding Discussion

Moderators: Bulldog, Big Paul, karlbee, hippy, Door Bitch, Boz

Re: Christmas annual leave refused not to set a precedent.

Postby doorsupervisor1990 » 08 Oct 2011, 14:35

If they guard who was going to cover you still was you should stick to your guns don't let them walk all over you. Im the same theres no mention of not being able to get christmas or new year off but ive been told il be working both. Ive told them il work one or the other not both as there is plenty guards to work a rota out that everyone atleast gets one of the two off.

You have rights etc, if you let them walk over you they will you have to stand up to them and stick to your guns. You will find most of the time they will give. And if its bothering you that much then look for a new better paid/hours job while you work.
doorsupervisor1990
WTD Recruit

Postby stuart30 » 09 Oct 2011, 00:24

doorsupervisor1990 wrote:If they guard who was going to cover you still was you should stick to your guns don't let them walk all over you. Im the same theres no mention of not being able to get christmas or new year off but ive been told il be working both. Ive told them il work one or the other not both as there is plenty guards to work a rota out that everyone atleast gets one of the two off.

You have rights etc, if you let them walk over you they will you have to stand up to them and stick to your guns. You will find most of the time they will give. And if its bothering you that much then look for a new better paid/hours job while you work.

But that's the reason why certainly Christmas time..guards agreeing with other guards too cover each other doesn't work.

You agree too cover me..i book a lap dance with Santa..you then decide you cant be bothered too cover me,i still take the time off as you agreed too cover me.

The site is unmanned as im getting a lap dance of Santa and your home having a turkey dinner (maybe beef but how thee hell would i know..ive never met you) the boss is furious as his now left thee comfort of his 18yr old girlfriends bed and had too go too site too cover you after you failed to cover me...f**k me is it worth it. :lol:

Or and this is a true story..your boss has put himself down too work new years eve..despite booking tickets too a fancy do,oops boss gets a kick in balls by the wife.

Changes the rota so his retarded son in law works new years eve...son in law is going to do with the bosses daughter...double kick in balls by wife and daughter...im then asked by son in law too cover him...hating both boss and retard son in law i agree,but suddenly come down with man flu and sadly cannot trapes round two dozen buildings in the cold...so boss has too work..moral of the story,if your rota says you work..work...dont rely on others...my now ex boss hasn't seen the holiest of holes for a year now since ruining new years eve for his wife... :lol: :lol:
The forum is dead on its arse...im off.
stuart30
WTD Recruit

Postby Theclickersarefkd » 09 Oct 2011, 10:35

Now, one of the guards that had been supposed to cover pulled out of the deal, leaving no one to cover a few days in case of my potential absence during Christmas period. I was really keen on lodging a grievance but now I've got hardly any grounds for that anymore.Punisher
WTD Rookie

Its almost like they refused the initial leave request because this is predictable ... Thats why in earlier response I suggested his boss would actually commend him should you lodge a grievence. Even if he hadn't pulled out there will be other sites that increase their requirement at Christmas and so granting a hol to you would have been seen as wasting an opportunity to be able to cover them more effectively.
And I said to myself , this is the business we've chosen .
Theclickersarefkd
The Guvnor

Postby outofmind12 » 10 Oct 2011, 09:18

The pricks who call in sick at christmas, make life harder for all of us.
outofmind12
WTD Recruit

Postby Punisher » 11 Oct 2011, 07:47

Its almost like they refused the initial leave request because this is predictable ... Thats why in earlier response I suggested his boss would actually commend him should you lodge a grievence. Even if he hadn't pulled out there will be other sites that increase their requirement at Christmas and so granting a hol to you would have been seen as wasting an opportunity to be able to cover them more effectively.

The management could have asked the other guard whether he was going to cover for me or not. If he had agreed, they should have given me the holiday. Once officially commited, the guard would not have pulled out for sure. It's that simple.

It's all down to us protecting our own interests. They want the site covered at any expense. I want my holiday. And I deserve it IMHO because my site attendance and record is flawless (in years not a single delay or blowout no matter how sick or indisposed I was). I'm not getting my xmas hols now. And they will never get me to cover in emergency, either. The ways of the world.
Punisher
WTD Rookie

Postby outofmind12 » 11 Oct 2011, 09:04

Punisher wrote:

The management could have asked the other guard whether he was going to cover for me or not. If he had agreed, they should have given me the holiday. Once officially commited, the guard would not have pulled out for sure. It's that simple.

It's all down to us protecting our own interests. They want the site covered at any expense. I want my holiday. And I deserve it IMHO because my site attendance and record is flawless (in years not a single delay or blowout no matter how sick or indisposed I was). I'm not getting my xmas hols now. And they will never get me to cover in emergency, either. The ways of the world.

Sounds typical to me mate.

Static companies have a huge problem with people calling in sick, been late or just plain not turning up for shifts, especially during the winter period.

So what happens is they get some guards like yourself with perfect attendance records, people who do them favors covering shifts at the last minute instead of having a day off and they abuse these people.

They dont realise how valuable workers like this are to a security contractor.

I know from when I was working static sites that I never called in sick once, if I could survive the travel between my home and my site then I would go to work sick. Sure I would not perform to the best of my ability, you cant do much patrolling while sat on the loo or puking up can you, but your there doing the best you can.
outofmind12
WTD Recruit

Previous

Return to Security Guarding