building site security

Security Guarding Discussion

Moderators: Bulldog, Big Paul, karlbee, hippy, Door Bitch, Boz

building site security

Postby pacman88 » 01 Oct 2011, 14:09

I have an induction next week, just want a few pointers from people who have done it or do it .

what happens at the induction?

tips for the job?

take books with me?

any other tips as its my first time doing this, minimum wage but i will take anything right now.

heard loads of mixed views on this.
thanks .
pacman88
WTD Recruit

Re: building site security

Postby Mike123 » 01 Oct 2011, 17:43

Not exactly a building site but i work on a large industrial site, factories and offices basically.

I've only been doing it for 2 weeks and wasn't really given any training, so i'm learning as i go along.

The site was being targeted by metal thieves on a regular basis because there was a lack of lighting, i contacted my employer and they installed very bright blood lights within a few days and now pretty much all of the site is well lighted and visible to me from my cabin. This has deterred a few guys who i noticed waiting in a transit van outside the site in the early hours of the morning a few times during my week first. I guess you will have similar problems, maybe even more then me because of all the equipment and plant that you will have on your site.

definitely take a few books to keep yourself busy, but don't take a radio or anything for the first few days because you won't be able to hear everything that is going on outside.

Hopefully others on the forum who are more experienced in this area can help you more and i can also pick up a few tips. 8)
Mike123
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby pacman88 » 01 Oct 2011, 17:47

cheers for reply mate, yeah id like to hear from the experienced guys too, is there alot of attempts to get into the sites? i thought it was a rare thing.
pacman88
WTD Recruit

Postby jaktlad » 02 Oct 2011, 03:25

the induction should take you through all the h& s requirements of the job, and ensure you know what to do in certain instances. it should go along the lines of taking you through the H&S policy, employee handbook, then more importantly the site specific AI's and risk assessment details. also it should include your patrol information, telling you how often to check call, what the process is for incident reporting, etc.

tip - take a reel of thread with you. a couple of my guys use this across gates etc and any otherr unsecure areas, and check it on their patrols to see if its been snapped. if so, someone has entered the site since your last patrol.
jaktlad
The Guvnor

Postby Firebird_2 » 02 Oct 2011, 11:03

I've never done site security as such, but I have worked as a dog handler on sites. Observations I'd make that may or may not help you.

Use common sense - most of these guards don't have any.
Don't fall in to the traps - you are not there to sleep, sit in the office all night, or do the bare minimum - patrols should not be done looking at only the ground in between checkpoints.
Don't become someone that thieves could set their clocks by. If they know you're going to be out of the office at three minutes past the hour, and back in the office by nine minutes past the hour.
If you want to make phone calls etc, do it from the opposite side of the site - it means you're out of the office for longer and acts as a handy disruptor to your patrol pattern.

The thread thing is a good idea - I've seen this done with people's hairs.

Of course, if you're anywhere near a metropolitan city, you'll need to learn Swahili so you can speak with the other guards on site too.

Something I keep in my kit bag is a PIR doorbell, I brought it from B&Q for about £20, it's got a 100m open air range, and can be hung on just about any nail that's already there in a blind spot, and obviously sounds in the office when it detects movement.
Firebird_2
The Guvnor

Postby pacman88 » 02 Oct 2011, 14:03

cheers fellas, where do you put the thread? at the bottom of gates?

do people try entry on every shift? or just depends where you are?
pacman88
WTD Recruit

Postby Firebird_2 » 02 Oct 2011, 14:52

Depends where you are.. I worked one job where they were getting entry every night. After one night of the dog being there (and being VERY visible), the losses stopped. A lot of the time, the problem is workers nicking, they'll leave a £3000 cable reel over the wrong end of the site by a weak fence, and hey presto, it's gone by morning.

With the thread thing, blu tack a little bit of thread to the door at the top or bottom when it's closed, and if it' breached, you've got a problem.
Firebird_2
The Guvnor

Postby pacman88 » 02 Oct 2011, 15:11

I see , what happens if they steal a reel for example if its been left by them to nab later through a fence or something, are you (the guard)to blame and get into bother?

pretty shady workers doing that, are they not bothered that some companies are ran by people not to be messed with?
pacman88
WTD Recruit

Postby Firebird_2 » 02 Oct 2011, 15:42

pacman88 wrote:I see , what happens if they steal a reel for example if its been left by them to nab later through a fence or something, are you (the guard)to blame and get into bother?

pretty shady workers doing that, are they not bothered that some companies are ran by people not to be messed with?

It's pretty much blamed on you, yeah. Regardless of what they've done, you're there to prevent them doing it.
Firebird_2
The Guvnor

Postby outofmind12 » 02 Oct 2011, 18:58

Firebird_2 wrote:
pacman88 wrote:I see , what happens if they steal a reel for example if its been left by them to nab later through a fence or something, are you (the guard)to blame and get into bother?

It's pretty much blamed on you, yeah. Regardless of what they've done, you're there to prevent them doing it.

Which is exactly why you have to take the job seriously and not take the attitude a lot of guards take which is "getting paid to do nothing".

Just dont put yourself in physical danger. Its not worth it.
outofmind12
WTD Recruit

Postby pacman88 » 02 Oct 2011, 19:11

outofmind12 wrote:
Firebird_2 wrote:

Which is exactly why you have to take the job seriously and not take the attitude a lot of guards take which is "getting paid to do nothing".

Just dont put yourself in physical danger. Its not worth it.

yep, i would/will take it seriously, i wouldnt sleep on the job etc i like to be as professional as i can and do a good job.

what is the most dangerous about sites? been rifling through threads on here trying to get as much info as i can before i go on a job.
pacman88
WTD Recruit

Postby Firebird_2 » 02 Oct 2011, 19:13

Most dangerous thing on sites i've worked on is determined pikeys, being outnumbered, and having an oppo that doesn't care.
Firebird_2
The Guvnor

Postby pacman88 » 02 Oct 2011, 19:17

how did you deal with it firebird?

hmm a load of gypsyies V 1 security guard doesnt sound like we have a chance in hell, what do you do here?
pacman88
WTD Recruit

Postby outofmind12 » 02 Oct 2011, 19:27

pacman88 wrote:how did you deal with it firebird?

hmm a load of gypsyies V 1 security guard doesnt sound like we have a chance in hell, what do you do here?

i can tell you how i dealt with it...

van and a group of gypos break open gates and enter site...

i hear something, i go to a vantage point i had, i see whats happening, straight away i was down, hi-vis jacket off, in the darkness. straight on the phone to control with descriptions, and the vans plate number etc... control then called the police for me. at this point, back up was on its way, time to take a bit of a risk.

so i put my hi-vis back on and put my powerful torch in their direction, letting them know they were been watched. luckily i had already secured my compound so nobody could sneak up on me etc... while not on patrols put as much of a barrier as you can between you and anyone breaking into the site, if it means jamming doors shut with a piece of wood, so be it. protect yourself.
outofmind12
WTD Recruit

Postby Firebird_2 » 02 Oct 2011, 19:35

Luckily enough when I've had them, it's a case of stay firm, be respectful, and try and ride out the stand off - which is great providing my furry friend doesn't get bored and start relaxing. I've never had more than one tranny van load of them. I've been offered a ride on a slutty sister, a steak dinner being brought for me in the local restaurant, and a few other various propositions in order to get me to turn a blind eye.

Pikeys don't like bringing heat on themselves, and, contrary to popular belief, the elders on their sites don't often appreciate the youngsters being silly enough as to bring the police on to the site, they'd prefer the easy rob.
Firebird_2
The Guvnor

Next

Return to Security Guarding