Close protection Career Advice

This section is for members to discuss topics in the Close Protection Sector.

Moderators: Bulldog, Big Paul, karlbee, hippy, Door Bitch, Boz

Postby helpfuldoorman » 18 Jul 2011, 12:26

Hi all,

Please can ask on getting into this field of work? I know networking and contacts are key to getting work. I've already researched a few training courses from a couple of good training providers.Is it really worthwhile having a Close Protection badge? Who would you recommend to train with from past experience?
helpfuldoorman
WTD Rookie

Postby Coversure Insurance » 18 Jul 2011, 13:09

I know of many, but here is a link to one in the M25 area....http://www.showset247.co.uk/training/closeProtection/
Mark Barton Cert CII, CeRGI

RIP "Boz" WTD Moderator 1969 - 2009
Coversure Insurance
Site Sponsor

Re: Close protection Career Advice

Postby johnho2007 » 19 Jul 2011, 17:25

there is plenty of work out there, but i have found that location location location, is a very helpful starting place, and for that you need to be in the heart of London,or able to get in an out in the hour ie motorbike, and the ability to carry all the necessary days gear, be it shirt and tie and two piece jacket,

i paid for my course out of my pocket and done the south african Ronin course which was well worth its money, and i have also done one with CES in old trafford Manchester,(paid out from my army resettlement) and yes net working works alot, and keeping everyones contact details.

I'm living in Liverpool and now completely out the loop for CP work, maybe all my contacts are down south. but its not worth the money to travel and stay overnights unless its a big contract where they look after you,and ive even cracked the jewish circuit in Manchester but there is never enough work to make the whole week payable,same things again traveling, parking,and being looked after by employers to make it enjoyable enough and rewarding.

and even turned up on jobs and told we dont need so many CPOs but will take doors staff for same work for less pay,your choice
Hello
have been redirected to this site,from a site where i pay 120 for a years membership,(LOL
close protection),i have honestly earned more money from the doors than any other security work,and surpise,i enjoy it.
johnho2007
WTD Rookie

Postby Coversure Insurance » 19 Jul 2011, 19:55

Good post John,

Whilst it sounds obvious now that you have actually written your experiences I am sure that what you wrote has not occured to many new or seasoned CPO's....

Useful contacts are always worth there weight in gold...relationship building is an art in itself and the right place to network is often difficult to find with only a few 'getting lucky' whilst the majority leave a networking event...with nothing....

Perhaps a good idea would be to frequently re-evaluate situations...i.e. know your marketplace and adapt accordingly...such as whats going on in your area...perhaps a new film being made, a festival, find out where the mega rich live near you...are they businessmen, footballers, media presenters, celebrities, pop stars etc... then fine tune your searches and research agents/introducers/company buyers/property or land management companies etc... every now and again you need to do all the hard work yourself...as work won't come just because your a member of a trade club/association or know a security firm manager who gets the odd job in...see who advertises on google to supply CPO's in your area...are they known to you and in your contact list/moby speed dial? if not...thats another thing to get done...it may take months or years but you still have to put the effort in...failing local work you must be prepared to travel or relocate....even emigrate...no point being a CPO that has not actually done a CP job for the last 6 months....record your jobs (remember personal & client security) to evidence your experience, exposure to situations and spectrum of client/job specs...

I hope the above thoughts help to start getting the old the brain cells working and provides some inspiration to get motivated to pin point how you can be a CPO within your chosen place or work/restricted options...that said, I believe that a career CPO must be prepared for anything and at a moments notice...so not such a great career path if you have just started a marriage and have a young family etc...

Cheers, Mark
Mark Barton Cert CII, CeRGI

RIP "Boz" WTD Moderator 1969 - 2009
Coversure Insurance
Site Sponsor

Postby ScottA » 20 Jul 2011, 18:40

Hi helpfuldoorman

Some good points already. Now the negative bit, you would be entering what is a completely saturated market! There are thousands of people out there now with SIA C/P licences and to be honest most of them will never do a day of C/P work in their lives, some have even been trained by people who have never done a day of C/P work.

I'm not trying to put you off by any means and if its what you want then I wish you the best of luck. If you do decide to go ahead then chose your training provider wisely there are it seems now more companies offering training than there are offering employment. New companies seem to spring up every other week and how much experience of close protection some of their staff have I have no idea.

Like one of the other posters I also did Ronin SA. I did it nearly 5 years ago and did ok out of it, ie it paid for itself in the first 6 months and I made money on it every year since but nowhere near enough to call it a full time employment.

Also another thing to take into account is your own background please remember that there are many ex soldiers and police officers who have close protection experience who cannot get onto a team at the moment/

Hope this doesn't sound like I am having a moan and I am far from the most experienced C/P bod on this forum its just my own view of the industry.

Best of luck in what ever you decide

Scott
ScottA
WTD Recruit

Postby johnho2007 » 20 Jul 2011, 20:24

Scott, Mark, top replies, yes its a funny old game out there, wish i made more of an effort in my first reply, but lets hope he spends his money wisely and is rewarded, :mrgreen:
Hello
have been redirected to this site,from a site where i pay 120 for a years membership,(LOL
close protection),i have honestly earned more money from the doors than any other security work,and surpise,i enjoy it.
johnho2007
WTD Rookie

Postby helpfuldoorman » 22 Jul 2011, 06:16

ScottA wrote:Hi helpfuldoorman

Some good points already. Now the negative bit, you would be entering what is a completely saturated market! There are thousands of people out there now with SIA C/P licences and to be honest most of them will never do a day of C/P work in their lives, some have even been trained by people who have never done a day of C/P work.

I'm not trying to put you off by any means and if its what you want then I wish you the best of luck. If you do decide to go ahead then chose your training provider wisely there are it seems now more companies offering training than there are offering employment. New companies seem to spring up every other week and how much experience of close protection some of their staff have I have no idea.

Like one of the other posters I also did Ronin SA. I did it nearly 5 years ago and did ok out of it, ie it paid for itself in the first 6 months and I made money on it every year since but nowhere near enough to call it a full time employment.

Also another thing to take into account is your own background please remember that there are many ex soldiers and police officers who have close protection experience who cannot get onto a team at the moment/

Scott

Hi Scott and Mark,

Thanks for the advice. I do really appreciate it. I've already researched and looked at some training providers. It is just finding the appropriate one, that will make you stand out from crowd.
helpfuldoorman
WTD Rookie

Postby hippy » 25 Jul 2011, 07:57

Frankly no training provider can make you stand out of the crowd. The training,as set by the SIA isnt indepth enough and the providers, by dint of financial restraints cant compete with the training provided by Govt agencies...

It is a tough business that is swamped with bodies and most of the work, being carried out by CP badge holders is not CP work.. AGMs, signings, events, even stagging on at power stations.. Hardly CP work, but look at what badge those that are doing these jobs hold...

True CP tasks are not thick on the ground in this country. A fact that people seem to ignore when deciding on the career..
My good blade carves the casques of men,
My tough lance thrusteth sure,
My strength is as the strength of ten,
Because my heart is pure.
hippy

Postby AndyH » 25 Jul 2011, 20:52

Hi mate,

I will quire happily recommend our training course in November this year, if you would like to speak in greater detail please feel free to email me and I will give you a bell to discuss.

Regards.

Andy

AndyH@responsesecuritygroup.co.uk
AndyH
The Guvnor

Postby ChrisBD » 03 Aug 2011, 19:17

Just to confirm and contradict a few existing point.

There is not enough work for all licensed CPO's. Over 10,000 licensed CPO's in the UK, however prior to the SIA there were only 500 active CPO's; has the market really grown that much? Answer, No.

That said, a good portion of those licensed are not emplyable in any meaningful CP role.

Key points to consider; location (outside M25 you are unlikely to either get a look-in for regular work, or find work that is profitable); aptitute (many of those with a badge just do not have what it takes, nothing to do with being tough or a steely eyed killer, they are just not smart, professional or presentable enough in the domestic commercial market); training (there are quite frankly ony a hand full of courses worth considering, the rest are tosh that do nothing but get you the ticket).

Bare in mind that the training as it is is considered as inadequate in many circles (it is what it is), therefore who you train with does matter. But there are no guarantees and never settle for the "guaranteed work if you pass our course" line.

Just my observations as a Special Project Manager that manages CP tasks for a known company.
ChrisBD
WTD Rookie

Postby noise stopper » 04 Aug 2011, 07:56

There was a company many moons ago who offered "Guaranteed work on passing our course" and had more overqualified DS than you could shake a stick at!
http://www.adporta.co.uk
It takes more than good intentions and a big bloke on the door.
noise stopper
The Guvnor

Postby ChrisBD » 04 Aug 2011, 13:33

noise stopper wrote:There was a company many moons ago who offered "Guaranteed work on passing our course" and had more overqualified DS than you could shake a stick at!

Sadly many enterants still think this is the case, or read their oun interpratation into the age old variant "we only employ from our graduates" etc etc. Due dilligence on the market and industry by aspirant CPO's would go a long way to solving this.

I would only consider a hand full of CP TP's as being worth considering, CV's mentioning other courses go in the bin. And while it may not be right for me to be seen to endorse any one course over another in an open forum, as a geneeral rule aspirants should be looking at the longer better established TP's who have a reputation behind them; likewise ring up potential employers to get the SP on what courses they recomend.
ChrisBD
WTD Rookie

Postby hippy » 04 Aug 2011, 15:24

ChrisBD wrote:
noise stopper wrote:There was a company many moons ago who offered "Guaranteed work on passing our course" and had more overqualified DS than you could shake a stick at!

Sadly many enterants still think this is the case, or read their oun interpratation into the age old variant "we only employ from our graduates" etc etc. Due dilligence on the market and industry by aspirant CPO's would go a long way to solving this.

I would only consider a hand full of CP TP's as being worth considering, CV's mentioning other courses go in the bin. And while it may not be right for me to be seen to endorse any one course over another in an open forum, as a geneeral rule aspirants should be looking at the longer better established TP's who have a reputation behind them; likewise ring up potential employers to get the SP on what courses they recomend.

You see chris, i tend to not even bother with looking at the training provider.. There are enough ex govt trained types from various agencies and countries about to negat the need to worry about who provided what course in the private sector
My good blade carves the casques of men,
My tough lance thrusteth sure,
My strength is as the strength of ten,
Because my heart is pure.
hippy

Postby noise stopper » 04 Aug 2011, 15:29

hippy wrote:
ChrisBD wrote:

You see chris, i tend to not even bother with looking at the training provider.. There are enough ex govt trained types from various agencies and countries about to negat the need to worry about who provided what course in the private sector

Having seen the awesome efficiency of some of the "Govt organisations" doing the training, sometimes a civvy can help!
http://www.adporta.co.uk
It takes more than good intentions and a big bloke on the door.
noise stopper
The Guvnor

Postby AndyH » 06 Aug 2011, 14:05

ChrisBD wrote:Just to confirm and contradict a few existing point.

There is not enough work for all licensed CPO's. Over 10,000 licensed CPO's in the UK, however prior to the SIA there were only 500 active CPO's; has the market really grown that much? Answer, No.

Where did you get the 500 figure from Chris??
AndyH
The Guvnor

Next

Return to Close Protection