What tasks does a Security Guard typically undertake?

Security Guarding Discussion

Moderators: Bulldog, Big Paul, karlbee, hippy, Door Bitch, Boz

Re: What tasks does a Security Guard typically undertake?

Postby IDS » 13 Apr 2011, 14:33

Stevew

You remind me of a story not so long ago with the guarding side of the company I work for when a mobile patrol supervisor went on a site visit one night and caught one of the guards sleeping he decided to take his picture send it to the boss and didn't even wake him and left :lol:
I AM THE SWORD OF MY FAMILY AND SHIELD OF MY NATION, IF SENT I WILL CRUSH EVERYTHING YOU HAVE BUILT, BURN ALL THAT YOU LOVE, AND KILL EVERY ONE OF YOU
IDS
The Guvnor

Postby genericbob » 13 Apr 2011, 16:24

I always thought the big Nigerian fella that guarded a nearby office block had a big maglight in his hand, I'm definitely not going over to have a closer look :shock:

Bob
I'm afraid Gentlemen that waving your arms about and calling me a c**t isn't going to make me change my mind.
genericbob
The Guvnor

Postby Stevew » 13 Apr 2011, 16:53

irishdoorsupervisor wrote:Stevew

You remind me of a story not so long ago with the guarding side of the company I work for when a mobile patrol supervisor went on a site visit one night and caught one of the guards sleeping he decided to take his picture send it to the boss and didn't even wake him and left :lol:

My company do the uni's near here. we sent a guard into cover a shift at the student halls.

He fell asleep in his office and forgot to lock the door. the next day the students were passing pictures around and one of the guards asked to see them.

It was of the night shift guard sleeping and covered in make up. :lol: :lol:

Steve
Do you know who i am?
Do you know who i know?
1 Phone call and i'll have a squad down here!!!!!
Really?
Stevew
WTD Door Supervisor

Postby nothing2report » 15 Jun 2011, 10:00

This is a very smart question. If you don't know what you are supposed to be doing you can end up looking a real fool.

The specific tasks for any site should be clearly spelt-out in the, bang upto date, assignment instructions (why is everyone laughing?). More likely, the guard you will be relieving should tell you what you need to know. If the guard only wants to get off home, put your foot down but ask them politely what you need to know. Ask specifically about the fire and intruder alarms (codes, etc.).

Check the log book to ascertain the comings and goings. Then check out every other piece of paper you can lay your hands on including the notice boards. One time I was pulling some extra shifts for a client who needed some guards for just a few weeks. I only found out what we actually supposed to be doing by reading the clients notice board, they had put up a notice to explain what was happening for the benefit of the regular staff.

Don't be surprised if you are the last to know. It is all too common unfortunately.

To add to the good advice of the previous posters, make certain you won't get caught sleeping or W@@king.

One story I got told was of a fella who fell asleep in the front office. Some kids pushed a firework through the air vents at the top of the front door and he had to go home to change his underwear.

Then there was the time of this old boy who was having fun on the clients Internet when the client's staff arrived to find the guard with his trousers lowered to his ankles.
Think like a criminal; don't act like a criminal.
nothing2report
WTD Rookie

Postby VikingPort » 15 Jun 2011, 12:35

noise stopper wrote:Painting, minor surgery, air traffic control if near an airport. I had one job where we were meant to redo the ceiling but some bloke called Michaelangelo undercut us! Is this really a serious question? What the **** do you think a security guard does?
In another life I would suspect a major WAH!

Looks like ive been getting off lightly then... 8)
Will you walk or am i going to have to help you?
VikingPort
WTD Recruit

Postby Kingb » 15 Jun 2011, 17:28

nothing2report wrote:If the guard only wants to get off home, put your foot down but ask them politely what you need to know. Ask specifically about the fire and intruder alarms (codes, etc.).

If its my finish time, then put your foot down all you like, but i will be going home like it or not!
You want the truth??? You cant handle the truth!!
Kingb
The Guvnor

Postby doorsupervisor1990 » 10 Sep 2011, 18:00

Kingb wrote:
nothing2report wrote:If its my finish time, then put your foot down all you like, but i will be going home like it or not!

Agree'd! after a 12 hour shift im not gonna fanny about telling someone what to do.
doorsupervisor1990
WTD Recruit

Previous

Return to Security Guarding