Thinking about booking a SIA CCTV training course

This section is to discuss anything related to the Security Industry

Moderators: Bulldog, Big Paul, karlbee, hippy, Door Bitch, Boz

Thinking about booking a SIA CCTV training course

Postby Mike123 » 11 Jun 2011, 20:52

....over the next few weeks

just wondering if there are any decent trainers in the Birmingham area that you guys recommend???

i was going to go with Get Licensed as they seem pretty good and the prices are fair

also, whats being a CCTV control room operator like???

just thought i'd ask before i search the forum and check the older posts.

i'm guessing it's pretty boring most of the time but from the jobs i have seen advertised, the pay is slightly better then the usual retail guarding roles so i'm willing to put up with being bored

Mike.
Mike123
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Re: Thinking about booking a SIA CCTV training course

Postby noise stopper » 11 Jun 2011, 20:57

Mike123 wrote:i was going to go with Get Licensed as they seem pretty good and the prices are fair
Another in a series of phrases you never thought you would hear! Search the site before booking chap.
It takes more than good intentions and a big bloke on the door.
noise stopper
The Guvnor

Postby Mike123 » 11 Jun 2011, 21:32

It's one of the main reasons i made the thread, i wouldn't mind doing the training with them but i can't seem to find anybody else that i have heard of before who do regularly training (on a weekly/monthly basis)

as part of my SD job, i have taught myself to the CCTV systems in the stores that i work in, in some of them, the staff (including managers) didn't even know how to use them and i ended up showing them :lol:

so it's not really the learning or knowing what to do that's the problem, the job is pretty basic anyway, not much involved that you can't learn as you go along

i've just read few most of the threads on here and had no luck with that, no upcoming courses either that i can see so i'm hoping somebody from the Midlands on here can recommend a decent trainer.
Mike123
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby noise stopper » 11 Jun 2011, 23:37

Good luck and good hunting sir!
It takes more than good intentions and a big bloke on the door.
noise stopper
The Guvnor

Postby Mattsmith1990 » 11 Jun 2011, 23:41

Being a CCTV operator is pretty dull.
Also the course is more about the legal aspects of it, not just moving a camera around.
Dirt cheap supps
http://www.myprotein.co.uk/
Use the code MP289315 when signing up and ordering.
Mattsmith1990
The Guvnor

Postby festivalmatt » 11 Jun 2011, 23:56

See Matt i'd have to disagree, i found it to be fun and very rewarding.

Stretchs of not alot happening and trying to stay awake looking at empty streets at certain points during night shifts, but it boils down to what your centres role is(store, site security or town/city centre cctv), what you are dealing with and wether you have anything else to deal with like shopwatch/nitenet/street pastor radios, emergency services radios, phone systems, alarms, ANPR, access control to sites and suchlike. Some centres are more reacive than proactive too so thatll have an effect in some cases. Being on site with police certainly helped make things interesting.

Agree that the course is legal based really, data protection act and regulation of investigatory powers act etc, we had about an hour on a ptz camera and two way radios which was more to give us a better idea than anyhing else.
festivalmatt
The Guvnor

Postby Mike123 » 13 Jun 2011, 12:30

No luck yet

i've spent over 5 hours searching for courses near me and contacting company, after company, after company :cry:

Get Licensed seem to be the only one doing regular training. :lol:
Mike123
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby stuart30 » 18 Jun 2011, 11:22

What sort of price is the course mate..lookingh at doing one myself,out of work currently on ESA and SG license now expired so want too try something diffferent.

Obviously pay for it myself as theres no money too pay for courses now.. :roll:
The forum is dead on its arse...im off.
stuart30
WTD Recruit

Postby Mike123 » 18 Jun 2011, 21:14

Well, some of the small time firms who seem to only do 2-3 days training, the courses cost between £160 and £180

and then the "proper" trainers, they do the full 4-5 days training and there courses cost about £230+

i'd rather pay the extra to be honest, i don't trust some of these dodgy trainers that are popping up from all over the place
Mike123
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby stuart30 » 19 Jun 2011, 20:35

Mike123 wrote:Well, some of the small time firms who seem to only do 2-3 days training, the courses cost between £160 and £180

and then the "proper" trainers, they do the full 4-5 days training and there courses cost about £230+

i'd rather pay the extra to be honest, i don't trust some of these dodgy trainers that are popping up from all over the place

Hmm well id agree..but sadly im not in the postion too be choosey...cheaper the better as long as i get the SIA badge.

Been in security a while now and too be honest theres plenty of employers who are just about worthy of working for..so wouldnt go over board on license training. :|
The forum is dead on its arse...im off.
stuart30
WTD Recruit

Postby stevio » 20 Jun 2011, 19:34

where are you located?
stevio
WTD Door Supervisor

Postby Mike123 » 22 Jun 2011, 21:13

stevio wrote:where are you located?

Birmingham
Mike123
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby stevio » 22 Jun 2011, 21:16

Shame got one running in college in Mansfield early July at a good price
stevio
WTD Door Supervisor

Postby Mike123 » 22 Jun 2011, 22:16

stevio wrote:Shame got one running in college in Mansfield early July at a good price

I managed to find a trainer in the end and i'm just waiting for them to contact me with the dates for when they are running the course next month.
Mike123
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby stuart30 » 22 Jul 2011, 15:35

If your still looking theres a firm ive contacted who run them every couple of weeks..price is from memory £175.

Seems they have a few venues..london is easiest for me or maybe Brum (live cambridge so both pretty much same distance.).

http://1acesecurity.co.uk/courses/security/cctv/

If anyone has used them before id be greatfull for feedback...might help the OP as well.
stuart30
WTD Recruit

Next

Return to Security Related Discussion