What tasks does a Security Guard typically undertake?

Security Guarding Discussion

Moderators: Bulldog, Big Paul, karlbee, hippy, Door Bitch, Boz

What tasks does a Security Guard typically undertake?

Postby bananaman » 07 Apr 2011, 20:17

As the title says. For retail work, it's obviously largely about looking out for shoplifters, so watching CCTV screens etc, but what other tasks are commonly associated with the role? And how about in static guarding? I hear it's lonely and boring, but then I've also heard stories of guards being able to read magazines and use the internet, on the job...!
bananaman
WTD Rookie

Re: What tasks does a Security Guard typically undertake?

Postby noise stopper » 07 Apr 2011, 20:23

Painting, minor surgery, air traffic control if near an airport. I had one job where we were meant to redo the ceiling but some bloke called Michaelangelo undercut us! Is this really a serious question? What the **** do you think a security guard does?
In another life I would suspect a major WAH!
It takes more than good intentions and a big bloke on the door.
noise stopper
The Guvnor

Postby bananaman » 07 Apr 2011, 20:26

I was looking for a slightly more in-depth reply, I obviously know the basic roles.....
bananaman
WTD Rookie

Postby noise stopper » 07 Apr 2011, 20:30

bananaman wrote:I was looking for a slightly more in-depth reply, I obviously know the basic roles.....

Including surfing the internet and reading?
noise stopper
The Guvnor

Postby bananaman » 07 Apr 2011, 20:31

No, I don't imagine they're the basic roles, but I've known of static guards who claim there's so little to do at times, that they're able to do these things.
bananaman
WTD Rookie

Postby noise stopper » 07 Apr 2011, 20:35

bananaman wrote:No, I don't imagine they're the basic roles, but I've known of static guards who claim there's so little to do at times, that they're able to do these things.
I've just realised this isn't a wah, so theoretically what should happen is the "basic roles" of patrolling and loss prevention should occupy the majority of your time, and boring though that may be it is the job. The videos and reading usually comes when you are on a quiet site with little history of trouble, and usually nothing worth nicking!
noise stopper
The Guvnor

Postby benjames » 10 Apr 2011, 16:23

If like me you are a static guard then your role is to act as a physical presence / deterrent on a site.

You are the eyes and ears of the company. It is your responsibility to make yourself aware of what is going on, on your site.

I work as a lone worker, which obviously means I work on site alone.

Other than the occasional visit from a mobile supervisor and chats with construction workers / residents / other people in the area, there is little human contact. In fact any form of human contact I did not mention is pretty much unwanted contact aka people breaking onto the site.

You are not there to physically restrain anybody or take them on. Like i said originally you are eyes and ears. You patrol the site at random times and write down where you patrolled / what the result of the patrol was. If something happens for example an intruder you report it to your control room who will react accordingly.

As for magazines and the internet... I guess thats up to you. You will most likely be expected to work long hours on your own which can be very very very lonely. You cannot be expected to be patrolling constantly and will spend a fair amount of time in your cabin. If you want to stay sane then you need to keep your mind active by doing something, so keep yourself busy.

Personally I happily mop the floor of the bathroom and my cabin, wipe the desks and the kitchen side.. .keep it all nice and tidy so its a nice place to be. I do this to pass the time and to make myself feel better.

I also make it my business to secure anything on the site which is unsecure. Sometimes the builders will leave a fence broken etc... so if i can repair it I usually will, it makes my job easier in the long run.

I take a laptop and go on the internet too, or i used to take a portable TV. I also read newspapers / magazines / listen to the radio (a digital radio can be a god send). Reading books is a good idea too, so you can learn while getting paid. The company you work for will no doubt have rules against anything other than a radio, but I have found that you just do it anyway, they know the majority of guards have a TV or something.

I popped onto my site today to ask the other guard something, and that guy was on his laptop watching a DVD while studying for university. They all do it. You have to keep yourself sane.

Its ok for someone in a cushy office doing 9 to 5, sleeping in their beds at night, seeing their family and friends to tell you your not allowed this or that... but you gotta make the best of your own situation, no job is worth losing your sanity.

Saying that... dont neglect your duties. If i am watching a DVD i will only do it with very low volume and with the window open so i can hear if anything out of the ordinary is happening, i also force myself to patrol on a regular basis.

ALSO..... DO NOT fall asleep. That is just wrong, and will put you in danger.
benjames
WTD Recruit

Postby steohh » 10 Apr 2011, 18:10

like ben said, do anything to keep yourself sane, i used to take my college coursework to site with me and done most of it while working which kept me sane also take with you plenty of scoff if its a long shift and if you feel tired take a patrol, cold air will wake you up and just keep your mind active, plenty of things to do
we stand alone together - easy company 101st airborne 501 PIR
steohh
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby proprep » 12 Apr 2011, 19:47

I done my first static shift today to help out a buddy whos got the lurgey. to make the 14 hours go a little easier i mostly drank red bull and drew things. i hope this has been of some use to you.
If in doubt choke 'em out
proprep
WTD Recruit

Postby IDS » 12 Apr 2011, 20:29

Masturbation :|
I AM THE SWORD OF MY FAMILY AND SHIELD OF MY NATION, IF SENT I WILL CRUSH EVERYTHING YOU HAVE BUILT, BURN ALL THAT YOU LOVE, AND KILL EVERY ONE OF YOU
IDS
The Guvnor

Postby Mojo » 12 Apr 2011, 22:06

irishdoorsupervisor wrote:Masturbation :|

Only if it's a mixed sex 2 person site :lol:
It's a job not an ego boost!
Mojo
The Guvnor

Postby Stevew » 12 Apr 2011, 23:35

irishdoorsupervisor wrote:Masturbation :|

was acting mobile supervisor a few weeks back in my full time job and i went to do a site visit one night, Went into the site and walked up to the main door.

With no answer on the door i walked round to the side where the security window was only to be confronted with the security officer having "fun" while watching a tv chat channel.

:shock: :shock:
Do you know who i am?
Do you know who i know?
1 Phone call and i'll have a squad down here!!!!!
Really?
Stevew
WTD Door Supervisor

Postby IDS » 12 Apr 2011, 23:38

I hope you let him finish off before you spooked him :lol:
I AM THE SWORD OF MY FAMILY AND SHIELD OF MY NATION, IF SENT I WILL CRUSH EVERYTHING YOU HAVE BUILT, BURN ALL THAT YOU LOVE, AND KILL EVERY ONE OF YOU
IDS
The Guvnor

Postby Stevew » 12 Apr 2011, 23:43

Think a did. By the time i stood outside the door and peeeshed myself laughing. :lol: :lol:
Do you know who i am?
Do you know who i know?
1 Phone call and i'll have a squad down here!!!!!
Really?
Stevew
WTD Door Supervisor

Postby benjames » 13 Apr 2011, 08:38

Stevew wrote:Think a did. By the time i stood outside the door and peeeshed myself laughing. :lol: :lol:

At least he was not sleeping haha

Had his weapon ready incase anything kicked off.

Lucky guy tho having access to digital tv on site haha.
benjames
WTD Recruit

Next

Return to Security Guarding