Doorwatch seeks removal of 'Bouncers' from dictionary

This section is to discuss anything related to the Security Industry

Moderators: Bulldog, Big Paul, karlbee, hippy, Door Bitch, Boz

Doorwatch seeks removal of 'Bouncers' from dictionary

Postby WtD_Oracle » 03 Sep 2010, 16:35

http://www.info4security.com/story.asp? ... de=4125638

Doorwatch seeks removal of 'Bouncers' terminology from Oxford English Dictionary

National Doorwatch chairman Ian Fox has written to the Oxford English Dictionary and asked for the term ‘Bouncer’ to be removed. Here, Brian Sims explains why.

Ian Fox – the hard-working and totally dedicated chairman of National Doorwatch – has written to the Oxford English Dictionary’s publisher (the Oxford University Press) and requested the term ‘Bouncer’ as a description of door supervisors be removed.

“This term is anachronistic, inappropriate and downright offensive to the new, modern, highly regulated profession of door supervision,” said Fox in conversation with SMT Online.

“It’s used to demean and give a negative stereotype of the hard-working men and women who are regularly called upon to deal with extremely challenging situations, many of which are predominantly alcohol and drug-related.”

As far as Fox is concerned, the continued use of the term ‘Bouncer’ in the media not only fuels this stereotype but also serves to place not only door supervisors’ Health & Safety at risk, but also that of the general public.

National Doorwatch meeting in Leicester
The move follows a meeting at the De Montfort Halls in Leicester last Tuesday at which Bill Butler (the SIA’s chief executive) was in attendance – along with 50 individuals including door staff, stewards and local police – to answer the questions door supervisors wanted to ask.

Those door supervisors travelled from all over the county and also included Doorwatch members from Coventry, Derby, and Nottingham.

At the gathering the police commander for Leicester City Centre, Inspector Jason Ross, said it was really important that this kind of meeting took place, and hoped the formation of a local Doorwatch could provide the platform for improved communications, between all those working in the night-time economy.

It was then over to Bill Butler, who stated there had been far too many promises of “jam tomorrow” for door supervisors which may have been beyond the legislative control and remit of the Regulator.

Acknowledging some of the earlier problems, Butler explained that, as is the case for all new organisations, there had been a steep learning curve at the SIA and, if regulation were to ‘start again’, with the benefit of hindsight they would likely do some things differently.

Clear value in the door supervisor role
Butler made it clear that he values highly the role door supervisors play in the night-time economy, and that it was wrong door supervisors should have to face what in any other profession would be a totally unacceptable level of violence.

A level of violence, in fact, which has seen over 60% of door supervisors physically assaulted at one time or another. That’s according to research commissioned by the SIA itself.

Butler then took questions from the audience, those that had been submitted via e-mail and also sent in by the many door supervisors who were unable to attend on the night.

These questions focused on everything from the cost of a licence through to the introduction of physical intervention techniques and on to what the SIA does on a daily basis.

To his great credit, Butler “didn’t back down” (Ian Fox’s own words) and gave full answers to every question that was asked.

Indeed, he agreed that the term ‘Bouncer’ is offensive and an inappropriate description for members of what is now a highly regulated sector of the industry.

Creating a new future for the sector
The key message Butler imparted was that door supervision as a profession has now moved on. He wishes to see door staff help him, the Regulator and themselves to take things forward, create a new future for the industry and highlight the difficult role they perform.

Butler is a firm believer that door staff are highly valued and respected by all participants in the night-time economy, which is at least one reason why the SIA’s CEO continues to support the National Doorwatch project.

For its part, Security Management Today Online has always used the terms ‘door staff’ or ‘door supervisors’ as we also abhor (and always have done) the negative connotations associated with the word ‘Bouncers’.

On that basis, we would urge all of our partner organisations both in the security media world and beyond to abide by National Doorwatch’s wishes.

Representing the interests of door supervisors
National Doorwatch is an organisation representing the interests of professional door supervisors: the men and women employed to ensure guests’ safety during their time in a licensed entertainment venue.

It’s a not-for-profit organisation which seeks to provide free resources that will assist door supervisors fulfil their role to the best of their abilities. National Doorwatch’s overriding aim is to give door supervisors a voice at both a local and national level, and promote the positive side of their work in our communities.

National Doorwatch is not a union. Rather, first and last it’s described by Ian Fox as “a family”.

“National Doorwatch is proud of the fact that its family makes up one of the most diverse professions in the country,” asserted Fox. “In our profession, it’s all about the ability to do the job. This is a profession which requires a combination of understanding, tolerance and, above all, patience in some extremely demanding circumstances.”

National Doorwatch is also all about communication. “We recognise door supervisors can no longer work in isolation, and that it’s time for them to step forward positively into the future.”

In conclusion, Fox stated: “National Doorwatch wants to get the message out to everyone that door supervisors and their colleagues should be recognised and valued as a significant contributor to public safety in the night-time economy.”

A sentiment that’s fully endorsed by Security Management Today Online and info4security.

What are your thoughts on this matter?

If you feel strongly, send an e-mail to: brian.sims@ubm.com
WtD_Oracle
WtD Team

Re: Doorwatch seeks removal of 'Bouncers' from dictionary

Postby SleepingPill » 03 Sep 2010, 19:16

What a joke :roll:

Its just a word, get over it.

Far more things to worry about ie the fact most DS are s*it, get s*it wages, etc etc
SleepingPill
The Guvnor

Postby SleepingPill » 03 Sep 2010, 19:18

I might write to them as well and ask any words I have a personal dislike for to be removed too....

Lets all pretend words dont exist and then nobody will use them..... :lol: :roll: :shock:
SleepingPill
The Guvnor

Postby Gepard » 04 Sep 2010, 09:04

Downright offensive? Hardly! I've often described myself as a bouncer when working. As SleepingPill said there are far bigger things to tackle in this industry than what's we're called!

I'll be perfectly honest I'd rather be called Bouncer than Door Supervisor any day of the week.

As for taking it out of the QED, a dictionary should IMO contain all words that are in use today - not a filtered list pandering to the needs of the PC few.
DS are like Santas........only the best have presence.
Gepard
The Guvnor

Postby fozzy » 04 Sep 2010, 12:55

Oh good god don't they have anything else to do?!
fozzy
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby hippy » 05 Sep 2010, 08:53

Has anyone heard of anything so pointless?

Does Doorwatch think that this will do us any good what so ever?
My good blade carves the casques of men,
My tough lance thrusteth sure,
My strength is as the strength of ten,
Because my heart is pure.
hippy

Postby BigAvo » 05 Sep 2010, 12:06

LOL, I thought it was a joke when I first read it. Its just a publicity stunt to make them look like they are doing something to tackle the bouncer reputation.

Its a slang term that made its way into the dictionary, removing it won't stop it from being used.
BigAvo

Postby noise stopper » 05 Sep 2010, 20:28

Can we also see about removing:
Politically and correct, Namby, pamby, liberal, toss, that, only, makes, the, whole, idea, look, like, something, out, of, a, bad, joke.
Or am I missing the joke?

Ian
It takes more than good intentions and a big bloke on the door.
noise stopper
The Guvnor

Postby Mojo » 10 Sep 2010, 14:47

Maybe instead of getting 'Bouncer' removed they should be trying to get 'Jacket Filler' included as i hear that description more so nowadays :lol:
It's a job not an ego boost!
Mojo
The Guvnor

Postby IDS » 10 Sep 2010, 17:10

Door supervisors is the SIA term to make us more friendly like to the public to get away from the image of a big bad bouncer. We will always be known as bouncers the SIA doorwatch or any other will never change the way public views us. Door supervisors,bouncers,doormen,doorstaff,F***** outers, knuckle draggers or the best one i have ever been called hired thug!!
I AM THE SWORD OF MY FAMILY AND SHIELD OF MY NATION, IF SENT I WILL CRUSH EVERYTHING YOU HAVE BUILT, BURN ALL THAT YOU LOVE, AND KILL EVERY ONE OF YOU
IDS
The Guvnor

Postby postman » 22 Sep 2010, 17:07

If you say door supervisor most people say back to you "oh your a bouncer then"
I prefer the term bouncer any way! 8)
As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Trent foaming with much blood"
postman
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Location: Should be in a padded cell with a straightjacket on!!

Bouncers tackle their toughest opponent

Postby WtD_Oracle » 23 Sep 2010, 08:17

Update from the Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z10KuaegHS

Bouncers are taking on an unusual opponent – the Oxford English Dictionary.

National Doorwatch, a UK-wide organisation representing more than 6,000 professional doormen, insists the name bouncers is ‘offensive’.

Chairman Ian Fox claims the term is ‘demeaning and inappropriate’ and has written to the OED in an effort to have it replaced by ‘door supervisor’.

‘A bouncer implies some knuckle-dragging thug as opposed to somebody who is actually doing everything they can in very challenging circumstances to ensure a safe night out,’ Mr Fox said yesterday.

‘The term is anachronistic, inappropriate and downright offensive to the new, modern, highly regulated profession of door supervision.’

A bouncer is defined by the OED as ‘one engaged to eject undesirable or unruly persons from a saloon, ballroom, etc.; a “chucker-out”.

The earliest known use of the term was in the U.S. National Police Gazette in 1865 and the OED has refused to accept it should be deleted from its records.

A spokesman said: ‘We are not linguistic policemen and our concern is simply the completeness of the historical record.

‘If hardly anyone uses “bouncer” we’ll consider marking it as rare – but that’s not the case at the moment.’
WtD_Oracle
WtD Team

Re: Bouncers tackle their toughest opponent

Postby hippy » 23 Sep 2010, 08:23

WtD_Oracle wrote:Bouncers are taking on an unusual opponent – the Oxford English Dictionary.

Bloody Daily Mail!!! Has to be one of the worst papers in circulation!
My good blade carves the casques of men,
My tough lance thrusteth sure,
My strength is as the strength of ten,
Because my heart is pure.
hippy

Postby noise stopper » 23 Sep 2010, 18:39

WtD_Oracle wrote:Update from the Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z10KuaegHS

Bouncers are taking on an unusual opponent – the Oxford English Dictionary.

National Doorwatch, a UK-wide organisation representing more than 6,000 professional doormen, insists the name bouncers is ‘offensive’.

Chairman Ian Fox claims the term is ‘demeaning and inappropriate’ and has written to the OED in an effort to have it replaced by ‘door supervisor’.
But Bouncer and Door Supervisor are in two separate parts of the dictionary!
It takes more than good intentions and a big bloke on the door.
noise stopper
The Guvnor

Postby BigAvo » 09 Oct 2010, 22:19

Just checked the online Oxford Dictionary, found "Door" and "Supervisor", but NO "Door Supervisor".
Looks like they'll have another battle on their hands, LOL
BigAvo

Return to Security Related Discussion