What qualifications do you need for a P.I

This section is to discuss anything related to the Security Industry

Moderators: Bulldog, Big Paul, karlbee, hippy, Door Bitch, Boz

What qualifications do you need for a P.I

Postby truereddevil » 27 Mar 2009, 20:00

I,m looking at getting into this does your s.i.a door badge cover you on it or do you have to actually go to college and do a course for it any help will be muchly appreciated thanks
truereddevil
WTD Rookie

Postby doggyc69 » 27 Mar 2009, 21:15

Dodgy tash and a red Ferrari convertible

taxi :oops:
never trust a fart :-)
doggyc69
The Guvnor

Postby Firebird_2 » 27 Mar 2009, 22:43

At the moment I'm 90% certain you need f**k all - but like CP, it's an industry that's hard to crack without the in-road.
Firebird_2
The Guvnor

Postby Boz » 28 Mar 2009, 02:38

It's very, VERY easy to get into but exceptionaly hard to be a half decent if not good operator (can be quite costly though as decent kit is not cheap).

I have done quite a bit of insurance work through a recommendation of a CP client and had some good results yet when I started out one chap who I was teamed up with gave the game away within 10 minutes of every job we were assigned to and he was a self proclaimed "expert" - lesson learned, only work with people you know and trust implicitly as it will reflect poorly on you.

The easiest way to explain it is some guys are sh1t hot uniformed guards making 50+ detered thefts each month but crap store detectives yet a good store detective would easily make 30+ arrests a month due to being able to adapt to his surroundings and blending in - I know the job roles of PI/SO/SD really are worlds apart but to a novice it is the easist comparison to make without going into the pros and cons.
Boz

Postby truereddevil » 28 Mar 2009, 15:50

Ha ha doggy ive learnt already that your the joker on here so basically look like magnum :lol:

On a serious note and hope this doesn,t sound like a stupid question but do you think even if i did abit of work experience for a company for free to see if i would like it is the way to go

Reason i asked about a qualification was i have joined another site called e-legal gathering and they were saying go do this course at a college
truereddevil
WTD Rookie

Postby Firebird_2 » 28 Mar 2009, 18:16

truereddevil wrote:Ha ha doggy ive learnt already that your the joker on here so basically look like magnum :lol:

On a serious note and hope this doesn,t sound like a stupid question but do you think even if i did abit of work experience for a company for free to see if i would like it is the way to go

Reason i asked about a qualification was i have joined another site called e-legal gathering and they were saying go do this course at a college

There's a load of talk in the industry about the second phase of industries to be hit by the SIA - certain companies are implying they have a heads up on what the course criteria will be and are filling courses based on half information. Until you read it here or on the SIA site, I wouldn't put too much thought in to it.

As for doing a bit of an internship - if you want to do it, I see nothing wrong with it - it'll give you an insight and give them a free tea-boy :lol:

Don't let them mug you off though and make it clear that if they don't like you after a shift or two, you'd rather they tell you than start exploiiting you.
Firebird_2
The Guvnor

Postby Boz » 29 Mar 2009, 03:14

See, now that's what I would call a PG tip.....

Red, if you want to be a PI you can work that out for yourself, let us know when you do.

:wink:
Boz

Postby truereddevil » 29 Mar 2009, 15:11

Cheers for the advice guys :wink:
truereddevil
WTD Rookie

Re: What qualifications do you need for a P.I

Postby PI Guy » 19 Jun 2009, 17:06

Hi everyone

You do not at present need a SIA license to be a PI in the UK. You do need to be registered with the ICO (registered under the data protection act) and it would be nice if you also had professional indemnity insurance and have a consumer credit license.

The SIA have more or less put off licensing until at least 2013.

The minimum standard of training (IMHO) is the API course. Their website can be found here http://www.pi-academy.com/
South East Regional Operations | Croydon | Tel: 0845 643 1924
PI Guy
WTD Rookie

Postby annielatro » 01 Jul 2012, 22:18

I have a Level 4 Diploma in Private Investigating Distinction(NCEF) and it's basically useless then lol?
The Female of the Species is More Deadlier Than the Male
annielatro
WTD Rookie

Postby hippy » 02 Jul 2012, 09:08

annielatro wrote:I have a Level 4 Diploma in Private Investigating Distinction(NCEF) and it's basically useless then lol?

Yes
My good blade carves the casques of men,
My tough lance thrusteth sure,
My strength is as the strength of ten,
Because my heart is pure.
hippy

Return to Security Related Discussion