All Clamping On Private Land To Be Banned

This section is to discuss anything related to the Security Industry

Moderators: Bulldog, Big Paul, karlbee, hippy, Door Bitch, Boz

All Clamping On Private Land To Be Banned

Postby monkeydave » 17 Aug 2010, 06:48

Wheel clampers are to be banned from operating on private land in England and Wales, the government is expected to confirm later.

Minister Lynne Featherstone said some firms operated a "sort of entrapment".

Drivers faced unclear signs, vehicles being towed away and extortionate release fees, she said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10993473
:mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:
monkeydave
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Re: All Clamping On Private Land To Be Banned

Postby JasonLeake » 17 Aug 2010, 10:45

No more clamping I take it then
Make A Pledge and Help Get Knives Of Britians Street
JasonLeake
WTD Door Supervisor

Postby ESM Ltd » 17 Aug 2010, 12:12

After November no
ESM Ltd
The Guvnor

Postby DirtyH » 17 Aug 2010, 13:55

In fairness this is well overdue. Having seen how a particular firm opertes round our way, its no suprise at all.
No room for passengers...
DirtyH
The Guvnor

Postby ahmed » 17 Aug 2010, 13:57

Very good news
ahmed
WTD Recruit

Postby Firebird_2 » 17 Aug 2010, 14:51

What about the people who have parking genuinely being abused by the Indian restaurant a few doors up though? I hate clampers generally, but they do have a place; this would never have been happening if the SIA had regulated the industry properly when it was added to their remit!
Firebird_2
The Guvnor

Postby Gepard » 17 Aug 2010, 16:37

But this is Private land.....so surely Public land will still be clampable? (By the likes of DVLA etc)
DS are like Santas........only the best have presence.
Gepard
The Guvnor

Postby Firebird_2 » 17 Aug 2010, 17:14

Gepard wrote:But this is Private land.....so surely Public land will still be clampable? (By the likes of DVLA etc)

Yeah, so my car park's ready to be abused!
Firebird_2
The Guvnor

Postby Gepard » 17 Aug 2010, 18:18

I personally think it going to mean people parking wherever they like now.

The other day I chose not to park on a private car park because there was a clamping sign and instead had a 5minute walk. If there is no clamping allowed they'll be even less respect than there is now.

I think they should lower (even fix) the costs of clamping and limit the number of companies working to a handful national ones.
DS are like Santas........only the best have presence.
Gepard
The Guvnor

Postby Firebird_2 » 17 Aug 2010, 18:32

Gepard wrote:
I think they should lower (even fix) the costs of clamping and limit the number of companies working to a handful national ones.

That would be a result if they'd done that - but as a result, I now need to buy a barrier, and buy a set of counterweighted flow controllers for the entrance.
Firebird_2
The Guvnor

Postby noise stopper » 17 Aug 2010, 21:34

Firebird_2 wrote:
Gepard wrote:

That would be a result if they'd done that - but as a result, I now need to buy a barrier, and buy a set of counterweighted flow controllers for the entrance.

Big Stickers like the police use for the "POLICE AWARE" notices, a bugger to remove, and available in "Right across the windscreen" sizes!
It takes more than good intentions and a big bloke on the door.
noise stopper
The Guvnor

Postby ESM Ltd » 17 Aug 2010, 22:58

Having been on the same charges and succesfully found not guilty i feel the clamping industry is in a major witch hunt

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 50750.html
ESM Ltd
The Guvnor

Postby leither » 18 Aug 2010, 08:22

noise stopper wrote:
Firebird_2 wrote:
Gepard wrote:

Big Stickers like the police use for the "POLICE AWARE" notices, a bugger to remove, and available in "Right across the windscreen" sizes!

unfortunately you cannot put them across the windscreen, some legal issue of preventing use.
thats why you usually see them on side windows, where view may be blocked but you can wind the window down to see
leither
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby nicebloke » 18 Aug 2010, 10:35

They`ll be lifting and towing every bugger from now on instead! :lol: :lol:

:twisted:
Work Hard-Play Harder
nicebloke
The Guvnor

Postby clampingman » 18 Aug 2010, 17:08

statement from the Vehicle Immobilisers Association (VIA), a newly established Trade Association for Vehicle Immobilisers

A new trade association for the Vehicle Immobilising industry was established by a meeting of representatives of 26 companies on April 20, 2010. The companies present represented all areas of England and Wales. Representatives from of five of the companies, including two of the largest in the sector, were elected to form an executive committee to be responsible for establishing the Association. Michael Charman, who has been operating a parking control and clamping service in London and the South East for nearly 20 years, was elected as Chairman.

The Executive has written its Constitution which has been issued to all interested companies in the sector. They are in the process of completing the Vehicle Immobilisers Compliance Scheme, which gives a detailed and precise code of practise.

Michael Charman said –

“For the past 3 years the SIA have been organising 2 or 3 meetings a year which have acted as forums for the VI Sector. Although they were well attended, there seemed to be a lack of desire to take things any further. At the last meeting on March 16, there was a distinct change in attitude, probably as a result of being informed of the impending business licensing legislation. It was proposed that we should form our own association to properly represent the industry and help in the task of changing the image of the industry. I was invited to head the new association and a date was set for the first meeting a month later.

The meeting on April 20 was so well attended that we had to arrange for additional seating. Those present felt that although the Government and the BPA had tried to regulate the industry, it was not working as neither seemed to fully understand parking control on private land. It was agreed that the time had come to sort out the “rogue” elements by forming an association with a compliance scheme that would include a code of practise that would hopefully form part of the requirements for the intended business licensing. If any company was found to be in breach of the code, not only would they be required to leave the Association, but they would also forfeit their license to operate. The proposed code would be made available to the SIA, DVLA, BPA, RAC, AA and landowners for comment before it was finalised.

The announcement by Ms Featherstone has come as complete surprise. It would seem that one person has decided to make a decision in an attempt to commit the Government to a very controversial course of action, without consultation with private land owners or local councils. She has obviously not given any real thought to the mayhem such a ban would cause to housing estates, industrial estates, doctors surgeries and other areas of private land where the clamping of vehicles parked by people who have no consideration for the rights of the landowner has been a very necessary service for thousands of residents and tenants.

Everyone is in agreement that the current control of clamping and removal of vehicles on private land is inadequate, but the majority of companies have good working practices and are not “cowboys”. The fact that some companies have been charging such large amounts of money is because they could. Yes, it is immoral, but is that not indicative of society as a whole? People should also be reminded that the clamping companies have to pay 17.5% VAT on any revenue they receive.

The Association will continue to work to achieve its objectives. We are advising our members and landowners to lobby their MP’s to try and ensure that this proposal is not made statute or, at the very least, not before proper consultation is made with the people it will affect most, the private landowner, residents and the companies who carry out a genuine service for these people.”
clampingman
WTD Rookie

Next

Return to Security Related Discussion