CCTV operator said I was excessive what do you think?

CCTV Discussion.

Moderators: Bulldog, Big Paul, karlbee, hippy, Door Bitch, Boz

CCTV operator said I was excessive what do you think?

Postby chalky » 06 Sep 2009, 03:44

Hello to all. Just a quick one asking for opinions etc. I assisted a female DS with a very violent female customer who needed to be ejected. She was restrained by the two of us and did the usual swearing bit as we moved her out of the venue. I told her that we would release her and not to do anything silly. So we did and she came straight back and smacked me in the face. I then palmed her away and she staggered but regained her balance. Anyhow one of the other DS motioned to the police who then arrested her. The Sgt then came over and asked if I wanted to make an allegation, I said no as I’ve already been to court several times now this year etc.

However he then informed me that the CCTV operator had said that it looked like I used excessive force. I was really pissed off at this as I didn’t lose my composure even when I got smacked. Anyhow I was told that she wanted to make an allegation against me etc. That having been said the Sgt did say that they can clearly see her smack me before I pushed her away and that he would have done exactly the same thing if he were in my shoes. Several witnesses also came forward on my behalf as well.

Anyhow, do you think I was out of order as it was a female? What would you have done? Do you think I will get any repercussions on this one?
chalky
WTD Recruit

Re: CCTV operator said I was excessive what do you think?

Postby Gepard » 06 Sep 2009, 05:06

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I've always said if you want me to treat you like a lady act like one! If the copper took it that seriously he'd have arrested you there and then. If it does go to interview just remember to get all the clauses "feared for my safety" "used minimal force I felt was approapriate" "had warnings" etc and the charges will get dropped.
DS are like Santas........only the best have presence.
Gepard
The Guvnor

Postby djbt_uk » 06 Sep 2009, 07:54

I have a feeling that the sergeant was trying to nudge you in the direction of getting in your own complaint first.

It's a bitch, but it sometimes works.
"Semper In Faecibus, Sumus Sole Profundum Variat!"
- We're always in the s*it, its just the depth that varies!
djbt_uk
The Guvnor

Postby Shankly12 » 28 Sep 2009, 20:39

I would have done exactly the same, no worries. Again, the police officer was probably after you to file a complaint first. I would'nt lose any sleep over it.
Shankly12
WTD Rookie

Postby Big Paul » 29 Sep 2009, 19:33

because you make a complaint doesn't mean you have to go to court. If you register a complaint against her, any complaint she made against you will dissappear. You can then drop your complaint (if you want).

As for who was in the right, There is little doubt in my mind that you used reasonable force in the circumstances. The fact that she had already kicked off and had to be restrained showed she had a tendancy to be violent.

Do up your statement while the incident is still fresh in your head in case you do have to go to court but in my opinion it won't go that far

Tis better to be quiet and be thought a fool, than speak and remove all doubt.
Big Paul

Postby Rhino » 13 Oct 2009, 18:02

Sounds reasonable mate, and anyhow, what would a CCTV operator know what reasonable force is... They think reasonable force is getting out their chair to stick the kettle on, god forbid the kitchen's upstairs...

I've done both jobs mate, and been in a similar predicament as yourself... It will pass.
Rhino

Postby raven725 » 02 Dec 2009, 13:24

Rhino wrote:Sounds reasonable mate, and anyhow, what would a CCTV operator know what reasonable force is... They think reasonable force is getting out their chair to stick the kettle on, god forbid the kitchen's upstairs...

I've done both jobs mate, and been in a similar predicament as yourself... It will pass.

lol reminds me of a time when we were trying to get hold of CCTV and they didn't respond for ages. When they finally did, he apologised and said he was in the kitchen making a sandwich! This confession was broadcast across the whole highstreet radio network!
raven725
WTD Recruit

Postby scania » 18 Sep 2010, 07:30

In this instance you did everything right, in using reasonable force you must be able to "justify" your actions, and was the force used reasonable in the circumstances? the answer is yes. you do not have to wait to be assualted before you can use force if you feel threatened or in danger. my advise is to always remember that word "justify".
scania
WTD Rookie

Postby gizza » 29 Sep 2010, 23:41

Here is the simple solution

get a copy of the cctv ( you can formally request and they have to give it to you by law )

watch it back and you decide,

I dont think it sounds agressive if she was very violent customer id say next time place her on the ground sit on her and wait for the blues and two's to come,

just be carefull when palming of kerbs etc etc
gizza
WTD Recruit

Postby festivalmatt » 02 Oct 2010, 11:04

really old thread but wouldnt worry about it in the least unless you do think you did wrong. any investigation by police would result in the tape being seized and reviewing it and deciding themselves. if you didnt do wrong then nothing to worry about. sounds like you were more offended than concerned.
festivalmatt
The Guvnor

Postby CCTVGuru » 23 Oct 2010, 22:29

festivalmatt wrote:really old thread but wouldnt worry about it in the least unless you do think you did wrong. any investigation by police would result in the tape being seized and reviewing it and deciding themselves. if you didnt do wrong then nothing to worry about. sounds like you were more offended than concerned.

I essentially have to agree with everything Matt said. If you didn't do anything wrong and the tape proves your side to be true, then you shouldn't fear anything. I think it's absolutely ridiculous how some people react to different situations. Unfortunately, everyone is an individual, so it's a matter of how you react.

Overall, I wouldn't say you were excessive or pushy at all. A lot of people confuse those "negative traits" for doing one's job and vice versa.
Irene
Always Safe. Always Secure.
When I work the door, I like to have the best access control systems! :D
CCTVGuru
WTD Rookie

Postby DinoMantle » 30 Jan 2011, 09:24

I wouldn't worry about it. I would have done the same thing. You have the CCTV (not the operator) on your side along with a few witnesses so you don't need to worry.

She probably thinks that you're going to file a complaint so she wants to beat you to it.
I'm a firm believer that knowledge of skills like lock picking is very important if you want to secure your doors.
DinoMantle
WTD Rookie

Return to CCTV