SIA FACE AXE IN COST DRIVE

This section is to discuss anything related to the Security Industry

Moderators: Bulldog, Big Paul, karlbee, hippy, Door Bitch, Boz

Re: SIA FACE AXE IN COST DRIVE

Postby IDS » 24 Sep 2010, 17:52

What was the point in extending licencing to Northern Ireland, It has only been 10 months? I know a lot of good DS who could not get licensed under the SIA they have left a shortage of good DS accros Northern Ireland. This has been a complete waste of time and money for me. I will not be wearing my SIA as a protest :twisted:

:lol:
I AM THE SWORD OF MY FAMILY AND SHIELD OF MY NATION, IF SENT I WILL CRUSH EVERYTHING YOU HAVE BUILT, BURN ALL THAT YOU LOVE, AND KILL EVERY ONE OF YOU
IDS
The Guvnor

Postby alonerider18 » 24 Sep 2010, 20:03

To be fair, the sia have made good promises and not done all of them. But some that didn't get licences, and l say some should be near a door. If the sia were that bad, they would of got rid of it sooner. They are self funding and have taken on all the crap and false lies people have said about licensed door staff. So the big picture of things, is that they haven't done such a bad job.
alonerider18
WTD Recruit

Postby ash11 » 24 Sep 2010, 20:25

alonerider18 wrote:To be fair, the sia have made good promises and not done all of them. But some that didn't get licences, and l say some should be near a door. If the sia were that bad, they would of got rid of it sooner. They are self funding and have taken on all the crap and false lies people have said about licensed door staff. So the big picture of things, is that they haven't done such a bad job.

Do you work for the SIA
Ash
ash11
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby Mattaria » 25 Sep 2010, 04:55

harry wrote:you notice the one's shouting to keep the s.i.a are the ones who would lose the most from their demise.

Exactly! couldn't agree with this statement more tbh.
Mattaria
WTD Door Supervisor

Postby KeithB » 25 Sep 2010, 08:01

I am a training provider, and as I do not teach the Door Supervisor course (I only teach physical skills, conflict management and handcuffing skills) I am personally happy to see the back of them, as long as it goes back how it used to be with the local councils. I still believe the councils should deliver training courses for anyone wanting to become a Door Supervisor as long as it is delivered by someone with sector competency and not some idiot who has had no experience or only 2 or 3 years experience.

KeithB
www.response-training.co.uk
KeithB
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby Gepard » 25 Sep 2010, 09:17

IF the SIA should get the chop it will only be a good thing if replaced by a similar institute produced from within the industry. As Andrew made comment earlier, there is a lot of benefits of having a single national body to oversee licensing, traning etc. especially in terms of finances.

For the SIA just to disappear would be a massive mistake. It's far better to see it stripped down, board of directors replaced and the organisation massively reduced replacing salaried staff with consultants bought in from the front line to guide changes.

IMO the worst case would be it getting shut down.....
DS are like Santas........only the best have presence.
Gepard
The Guvnor

Postby Ian12 » 25 Sep 2010, 10:04

National Doorwatch looks forward to the opportunity to continue working with the SIA, or its successor in whatever form that may take. Irrespective of the outcome this represents a real opportunity for Door Supervisors, and indeed all SIA License holders. When the SIA was originally formed there was no grass roots representation from those who do, or have done the job, to voice their opinions and concerns. Now you have the chance to get a seat at the table, or even the Board, and be heard.
Ian12
WTD Recruit

Postby DirtyH » 25 Sep 2010, 12:50

Ian12 wrote:National Doorwatch looks forward to the opportunity to continue working with the SIA, or its successor in whatever form that may take. Irrespective of the outcome this represents a real opportunity for Door Supervisors, and indeed all SIA License holders. When the SIA was originally formed there was no grass roots representation from those who do, or have done the job, to voice their opinions and concerns. Now you have the chance to get a seat at the table, or even the Board, and be heard.

Cough*
Bollocks Cough*

If ever a statment was carefully worded but meant nothing I think this it.

What table? What seat? With who? factless drivel. The SIA aint gone yet.
No room for passengers...
DirtyH
The Guvnor

Postby ash11 » 25 Sep 2010, 15:53

Ian12 wrote:National Doorwatch looks forward to the opportunity to continue working with the SIA, or its successor in whatever form that may take. Irrespective of the outcome this represents a real opportunity for Door Supervisors, and indeed all SIA License holders. When the SIA was originally formed there was no grass roots representation from those who do, or have done the job, to voice their opinions and concerns. Now you have the chance to get a seat at the table, or even the Board, and be heard.

^ :arrow: :lol:
Ash
ash11
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby nick83 » 27 Sep 2010, 13:41

good news the SIA being under review. Even better should it be scrapped.

I was licensed with the North Yorkshire Police door safe scheme in 2003. It cost £110 and that included a 2 day training course and licensing. While waiting for a course date which was no more than 2 weeks you where allowed to work on a temp license as long as you worked with an experienced DS and turned up for the course. And in my opinion the 2 day course I had then has served me better than the 4 day course I did when the SIA license launched. It was delivered by the police who worked closely with DS and having worked in various county's I'd say N Yorks Police are the most supportive to DS.

I don't think scrapping the SIA would be a step backward if local councils or police forces took up the licensing process. We can still work by with the 2001 act that all staff have to be licensed but in a better way.
nick83
WTD Rookie

Postby ash11 » 27 Sep 2010, 14:21

nick83 wrote:good news the SIA being under review. Even better should it be scrapped.

I was licensed with the North Yorkshire Police door safe scheme in 2003. It cost £110 and that included a 2 day training course and licensing. While waiting for a course date which was no more than 2 weeks you where allowed to work on a temp license as long as you worked with an experienced DS and turned up for the course. And in my opinion the 2 day course I had then has served me better than the 4 day course I did when the SIA license launched. It was delivered by the police who worked closely with DS and having worked in various county's I'd say N Yorks Police are the most supportive to DS.

I don't think scrapping the SIA would be a step backward if local councils or police forces took up the licensing process. We can still work by with the 2001 act that all staff have to be licensed but in a better way.

I agree with it going back to local council. I think the old days have gone(I think so anyway) and have gone for good. If a DS is going to give a customer a slap while dragging them out it does't mater if it was 1990 or 2010 it would still happen regardless of the SIA. I worked on a door last summer and an internal DS was caught by the police dealing drugs, so to say that the scrap of the SIA would bring all this back is bull (s**t happens) These days their is to much CCTV, People grassing and town centre CCTV to get away with kicking s**t out of people. The only people that are complaining about the scrap are the people who are going to loose out such as the SIA themselves and ISO etc..
Ash
ash11
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby karlbee » 28 Sep 2010, 09:44

nick83 wrote:good news the SIA being under review. Even better should it be scrapped.

Well said Nick,licencing at local level but with a nationwide coverage is the way forward.To me its a no brainer,costs are cut from both sides, we get a more personal sevice,local licencing staff get job security,there will be a more posative working relationship betwwen us and the people that licence us.
Nick,did you do your NDR training with Geoff Cooling? a top guy and trainer. I was lucky to do my NDR and SIA training with him.
Any fool can make money,a clever man knows how to keep it. Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity.
karlbee

Postby parajack » 28 Sep 2010, 18:04

ashford1988 wrote:
alonerider18 wrote:To be fair, the sia have made good promises and not done all of them. But some that didn't get licences, and l say some should be near a door. If the sia were that bad, they would of got rid of it sooner. They are self funding and have taken on all the crap and false lies people have said about licensed door staff. So the big picture of things, is that they haven't done such a bad job.

Do you work for the SIA

:shock: no...makes too much sense and way too articulate.. :lol: :lol: :roll:
Utrinque Paratus:RIP Ryan Joe Parry 15 killed in the sheffield floods,i think about you often son.
parajack
The Guvnor

Postby parajack » 28 Sep 2010, 18:06

Gepard wrote:IF the SIA should get the chop it will only be a good thing if replaced by a similar institute produced from within the industry. As Andrew made comment earlier, there is a lot of benefits of having a single national body to oversee licensing, traning etc. especially in terms of finances.

For the SIA just to disappear would be a massive mistake. It's far better to see it stripped down, board of directors replaced and the organisation massively reduced replacing salaried staff with consultants bought in from the front line to guide changes.

IMO the worst case would be it getting shut down.....

:shock: such as? :roll:
Utrinque Paratus:RIP Ryan Joe Parry 15 killed in the sheffield floods,i think about you often son.
parajack
The Guvnor

Postby gringoe » 28 Sep 2010, 20:24

Our local council licencing was awful.

Rubbish training and rubbish enforcement

Sound familiar?
gringoe
WTD Head Door Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Security Related Discussion