Bars win change to bouncers rule

This section is to discuss anything related to the Security Industry

Moderators: Bulldog, Big Paul, karlbee, hippy, Door Bitch, Boz

Postby Dave » 28 Jan 2009, 22:08

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/

TWO Liverpool bars have won their bid to remove bouncers from their doors.

Albert Dock-based Circo and Raven can now choose when to have door staff on duty after the city council agreed their application to change the condition of their licences.

Merseyside police objected to the decision, which could save the bars hundreds of pounds a night and could lead to similar applications being made by other bars across the city, arguing that door staff act as a deterrent to crime and disorder.

The bars had been ordered to employ bouncers on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.

They now have the flexibility of deciding when they are needed.

Both bars are run by Docklands Bars Ltd.

Licensing officer PC Stuart Moore told the hearing the only incident they had recorded was one at Circo in November, and this was a result of door staff being present.

Richard Williams, solicitor acting for Docklands Bars Ltd, said they were not saying there would not be any door staff employed, but asking for “flexibility”.

He said the application was not just financially motivated, but because the operator felt there was no real risk and that they were capable of making the decision as to when door staff were needed.

He said the company director John Ritchie had the experience to make the call to put door staff on.

Mr Ritchie said: “I’m a responsible operator and have been for a long time. The list of incidents over the past 13/14 years in Liverpool I could count on one hand.

“Is that because we have door staff? No. It’s because we take due diligence.”

Circo was described a restaurant bar with circus theme and Raven as an Irish American bar and restaurant.

After the hearing, PC Moore said: “This is the first application we have had to remove door staff and obviously our concerns were noted by the committee in relation to their removal. Each premises or subsequent applications will be dealt with on their own merit.”

Docklands Bars declined to comment after the hearing.
Dave
The Guvnor

Postby Luke » 28 Jan 2009, 22:30

Who fancys a trip to Liverpool to cause chaos? :)

This may turn into one of the places where trouble will now brew and they will realise they had no trouble before as it was the people on the front door that prevented the people causing trouble from entering in the first place.
Luke
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby cmcg » 28 Jan 2009, 23:10

so they want rid of doorstaff because there is no incidents atthe two venues?
surely because the doorstaff are there in the first place.
cmcg
WTD Recruit

Postby chunky68 » 29 Jan 2009, 01:07

LOL what a joke,obviously the lads on the door were doing too good a job at keeping the scallys & chavs out.
Wonder how long it takes for the undesirables to notice there is no lads on the door.
chunky68
WTD Recruit

Postby SleepingPill » 29 Jan 2009, 04:24

this is one of those where on the first night you get taken off you make sure some of your mates pay a visit and play silly buggers :P
SleepingPill
The Guvnor

Postby danny56o » 29 Jan 2009, 06:49

SleepingPill wrote:this is one of those where on the first night you get taken off you make sure some of your mates pay a visit and play silly buggers :P
thats an old school tatic and i like it :wink:
Adapt and overcome
danny56o
The Guvnor

Postby deadlylady » 29 Jan 2009, 10:42

We have a venue in nottingham that did this. We refused to take the door on the grounds it didnt want a d/s with gold teeth, Also the contract was only for 6 months.
The venue ended up having d/s for a year before they won the right not to have d/s
deadlylady
The Guvnor

Re: Bars win change to bouncers rule

Postby noise stopper » 29 Jan 2009, 10:46

Dave wrote:http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/

Mr Ritchie said: “I’m a responsible operator and have been for a long time. The list of incidents over the past 13/14 years in Liverpool I could count on one hand.
Lordy he must have a lot of fingers on that hand!

Ian
It takes more than good intentions and a big bloke on the door.
noise stopper
The Guvnor

Postby bendelboy » 29 Jan 2009, 12:12

with the financial downturn, this will be only the begining-you'll start seeing a lot more venues doing this-having d/s when they want-the only problem with this as it might not be regular-everyweek, will they get d/s at short notice, will they expect them to be sitting at home, waiting for the call?
--------------------------------------------------------He who laughs first, Doesn't always LAUGH LAST!
bendelboy
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby jax666 » 29 Jan 2009, 17:19

Luke wrote:Who fancys a trip to Liverpool to cause chaos? :)

This may turn into one of the places where trouble will now brew and they will realise they had no trouble before as it was the people on the front door that prevented the people causing trouble from entering in the first place.

Being a scouser and growing up in the pubs and clubs the last place you want to go and act like that is Liverpool!!

I know there is one or two DS's on this site who currently work in town and unless the place and faces have changed that much it will still be a tastey crowd.

As for the lads who worked the door letting their mates go and play it might be old school but it's fair.
Pathfinder Security Supplies

Hard Target Body Armour - Viper - WebTex
10% discount to WTD members Starting June 2010
jax666
WTD Door Supervisor

Postby viking power » 29 Jan 2009, 19:10

I've been trying to fight against this because it's something I'm seeing more and more. Licensing authorities who are simply not in touch with the realities of the night time enviroment not seeing the need for door staff; some actually under the belief that door staff cause trouble!

Sadly I think more and more venues will apply to vary the licence and it will be granted. It will all go to sh*t , it will lead to incidents but sub committees have no grasp of this.
viking power
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby Firebird_2 » 29 Jan 2009, 19:55

On the one hand, it's bouncers out of work, but on the other, I can see from the bar owner's point of view that in this climate he needs to cut costs.. He's either a naive pratt that thinks he can fight the law and win.... or he's a face, and genuinely doesn't need bouncers..
Firebird_2
The Guvnor

Postby jax666 » 29 Jan 2009, 20:00

Firebird_2 wrote:On the one hand, it's bouncers out of work, but on the other, I can see from the bar owner's point of view that in this climate he needs to cut costs.. He's either a naive pratt that thinks he can fight the law and win.... or he's a face, and genuinely doesn't need bouncers..

It's been over 15 years since i lived in Liverpool and I don't know the faces anymore (thank god) but knowing the way security is run in the city i would bet he is a face or he won't have much of a business, fire insurance used to be quite expensive!!!

jax666
WTD Door Supervisor

Postby future » 30 Jan 2009, 06:08

weve had a couple of enquires reguarding training ds courses to bar staff
so the venues can save on the cost of doormen,
future
WTD Rookie

Postby jax666 » 30 Jan 2009, 08:19

Unfortunately i think that's the way it will go for a while until the bar owners realise that on a busy night bar ds's can't be in two places and the punters aren't getting served quick enough and that kicks off or you get a bar ds stabbed or badly injured, either way when the bars realise it is not cost effective they will change again, but i think for the quieter nights bar ds's may be the way bars go! :(

The other side is that once bar ds's encounter troublew they will want the same pay as doormen.

jax666
WTD Door Supervisor

Next

Return to Security Related Discussion