http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... 5974550461
A MAN who admitted slashing a nightclub bouncer with a machete in an attack that was chillingly captured on CCTV has been refused bail.
Magistrate Fiona Stewart said this afternoon she was not persuaded Cong Thanh Nguyen, 21, would answer bail and would not commit further offences of he was released.
‘‘I also take into account the need to protect the public from such incidents,” Ms Stewart said.
On Monday in Melbourne Magistrates’ Court Nguyen admitted that he attacked Ahmad Chokr, slashing him several times across the arm outside CBD nightclub Bubble during a wild brawl involving up to 20 Asian men.
Machetes, knives and other weapons were used during the incident which started when another security guard confronted a one of the men after he was seen dropping a knife.
Mr Chokr, 21, almost had his arm and leg hacked off and he told a committal hearing last week he feared he would die in the vicious attack.
Yesterday Nguyen, of Richmond, pleaded guilty to single counts of affray and recklessly causing serious injury to Mr Chokr on November 22 last year.
He denied intentionally causing serious injury to Mr Chokr and Ms Stewart ordered him to appear in the County Court on March 22 next year.
Graphic CCTV footage of the attack was played in court during a preliminary hearing last week.
In her bail decision Ms Stewart said it was argued Nguyen’s mother would use her home to put up a $100,000 surety but the magistrate said she was not convinced she could control her son.
Informant, Senior Detective Adrian Smith opposed bail because police feared he will commit further offences, will fail to appeal and may intimidate witnesses.
Mr Smith said Nguyen had a history of violence and it was believed his friends are involved with the Yellow Klique gang, one of a number of gangs in inner and western Melbourne that have caused concern for police.
After the Bubble incident Nguyen disappeared for three months and only handed himself in after the police arrested his mother on suspicion of assisting him to avoid arrest.
Four other men were committed to stand trial last week by Ms Stewart for their part in the incident.
They were Chris Lay, 22, Phu Hieu Nguyen, 20, Jason Duong and Trung Tam Khuu, 20.
Mr Duong and Mr Khuu are charged with affray and Mr Nguyen and Mr Lay are charged with affray and intentionally causing serious injury.
In September Chyong Nguyen was jailed for two and a half years for his part in the attack on Mr Chokr.