Bouncer used racial slur during fatal beating - Australia

This section is to discuss anything related to the Security Industry

Moderators: Bulldog, Big Paul, karlbee, hippy, Door Bitch, Boz

Bouncer used racial slur during fatal beating - Australia

Postby WtD_Oracle » 13 May 2010, 09:08

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... -v0g2.html

A bouncer screamed "I'll kill you, kaffir" as he kicked a man being restrained on the ground outside a Gold Coast tavern, a jury has been told.

Terii Tararo, 21, died after allegedly being punched, kicked and choked while pinned to the ground for up to 11 minutes outside Fisherman's Wharf Tavern, at Main Beach, on May 18, 2008.

Members of the Tavern's security staff, Gold Coast men Denis Legradi, 32, Morne Ricardo Lombaard, 30, and Naeroa Petera Tepaukouni, 37, have pleaded not guilty to Mr Tararo's murder.

Tanner Hibel, now a member of the Australian Army, was also working as a bouncer on the night of Mr Tararo's death and today told the Supreme Court in Brisbane he became involved in his colleagues' struggle with Mr Tararo after hearing a "code red" call over the radio network.

Mr Hibel said he held Mr Tararo's legs as Mr Legradi straddled the man's back, though Mr Tararo was continually "bucking" Mr Legradi off, he said.

Mr Hibel gave evidence he saw Mr Lombaard kick his boot towards Mr Tararo's head - though did not see the kick connect - while telling him: "You couldn't even knock me out."

He was also "screaming and yelling" at Mr Tararo "I'll kill you, kaffir", Mr Hibel said.

The court was told the word is a racial slur used in Mr Lombaard's native South Africa.

Mr Hibel said he then saw Mr Tararo's face was bleeding, but the man continued to struggle until police arrived and handcuffed him.

Mr Tararo was still breathing after being 'cuffed, but moments later when police and bouncers tried to put him in a police vehicle, he was unconscious, Mr Hibel said.

Shown mobile phone video footage of the incident, he identified before the court Mr Lombaard as one of the bouncers who can be seen punching Mr Tararo while he was restrained face down on the ground.

The footage also showed a man Mr Hibel identified as security boss Shane Bennett twice pushing back Mr Lombaard away from Mr Tararo as he was restrained.

Yesterday when prosecutors opened the case to the jury, Michael Byrne SC said a fight had broken out between bouncers and Mr Tararo after he and his friends were denied entry to the venue and Mr Tararo responded by striking Mr Lombaard in the face.

Mr Tepaukouni has also pleaded not guilty to a charge of assault occasioning bodily harm of one of Mr Tararo's friends, Colin Loseby.

Mr Loseby, 29, was left with a broken arm after the incident that night, the court has heard.

The trial, before Justice Martin Daubney, continues
WtD_Oracle
WtD Team

Arm 'snapped' by bouncer, court told

Postby WtD_Oracle » 14 May 2010, 21:39

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/201 ... -news.html

A FRIEND of a man who died after a fight with security at Fisherman's Wharf Tavern has told a court bouncers at the pub broke his arm and punched him during the incident.

Colin Loseby, 29, told the Supreme Court in Brisbane he went to see what was happening between security and his now deceased mate Terii Tararo about 10.30pm on Sunday May 18, 2008.

The Crown alleges three security guards on duty that night -- Denis Legradi, Morne Ricardo Lombaard and Naeroa Petera Tepaukonui -- murdered Mr Tararo, 21, by using excessive force and violence including choking, kicking and punching.

All have pleaded not guilty.

Mr Tepaukonui has also pleaded not guilty to assault occasioning bodily harm of Mr Loseby.

Mr Loseby, a 100kg steel fixer from Arundel, yesterday told the court he was hanging around the front entrance of the pub when he saw something happening with Mr Tararo.

He said as he went over 'just to look' security came towards him, so he put his arm up but they put him in an arm lock and brought him to the ground.

He said a man, whom he later identified as Mr Tepaukonui, punched him.

"When I was laying down, my face was on the side and he was looking at me and punching me in the face," he said.

He said he also felt his arm 'snap' while he was being restrained.

"Just when they had my arm up behind my back, it snapped between my elbow and shoulder," he said.

"One of the security guards grabbed my arm, my broken arm, pulled it up and dropped it on the ground ... did that three times.

"I was just yelling in pain."

Mr Loseby said he did not see what happened to Mr Tararo.

He denied suggestions by defence lawyers that he knew Mr Tararo had previously been banned from the tavern and the group had gone to the area to cause trouble.

The trial continues.
WtD_Oracle
WtD Team

'Animal' tag for bouncer

Postby WtD_Oracle » 18 May 2010, 09:45

THE security boss on hand the night a man died at Fisherman's Wharf Tavern on the Gold Coast called one of his guards an 'animal' after watching him break the patron's fingers, a court has been told.

Shane Bennett, director of Blue Steel Security which had the contract to provide staff at the tavern in May 2008, told the Supreme Court in Brisbane he also saw the guard kick and punch patron Terii Tararo, 21, who later died.

Mr Bennett yesterday gave evidence in the trial of three former security guards accused of murdering Mr Tararo by using excessive force and violence on May 18, 2008.

Morne Lombaard, Denis Legradi and Naeroa Tepaukonui have all pleaded not guilty to the charge.

Mr Bennett told the jury he saw Mr Lombaard direct punches and at least one kick towards Mr Tararo, who was being restrained on the boardwalk in front of the tavern about 10.30pm.

"Morne was just standing above him and just took one step and kicked him in the head," said Mr Bennett.

He said he pushed Mr Lombaard away but he repeatedly came back.

"(Mr Lombaard) was down on one knee and just kept punching into the face of Tararo," he said.

Mr Bennett said by then Mr Tararo, who was described as a very strong and large man, had blood coming from his nose.

"The third time, the last time (Mr Lombaard) was down on his hands and knees and it looked like he was breaking (Mr Tararo's) fingers," he said.

"I said what the (expletive) hell are you doing, you (expletive) animal."

The trial continues.
WtD_Oracle
WtD Team

Bouncers on trial: 'dead man' cuffed

Postby WtD_Oracle » 21 May 2010, 07:53

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... -vnxn.html

The first police officer on the scene of a fatal alleged bashing by three Gold Coast bouncers did not check whether the victim was alive before he handcuffed him.

Senior Constable Benjamin Tonges told Brisbane Supreme Court yesterday he never touched Terii Tararo when he arrived at Fisherman's Wharf Tavern at Main Beach, in response to a violent clash between patrons and security, on May 18, 2008.

Three bouncers - Denis Legradi, 32, Morne Ricardo Lombaard, 30, and Naeroa Petera Tepaukouni, 37 - have pleaded not guilty to Mr Tararo's murder.

Senior Constable Tonges said he approached a group of bouncers restraining Mr Tararo, who was face down on the ground and did not appear to be moving.

He said he placed a handcuff on Mr Tararo after one of the bouncers positioned the man's arms.

When Mr Tararo's other arm was positioned, Senior Constable Tonges fastened the second metal cuff.

"Then I dropped the cuffs ... [his arms] just relaxed straight down," he said.

"At no stage did I have skin on skin contact with him. I only ever touched the handcuffs."

But under cross-examination by Mr Lombaard's defence barrister Damian Walsh, Senior Constable Tonges admitted the day after the death that when he handcuffed him, he had felt Mr Tararo "tensing up".

"If I said that ... there was just a resistance of weight, the weight of his arms," he said.

Earlier in the trial, bouncer Tanner Hibel gave evidence he was the bouncer who presented Mr Tararo's wrists to be handcuffed by Senior Constable Tonges.

He said he "felt resistance" when pulling Mr Tararo's arms up for the cuffing, which he thought indicated he was still alive at that point.

Senior Sergeant Bruce Diamond, who also gave evidence at the trial yesterday, said it was normal procedure to cuff unruly, violent hotel patrons first and ask questions later.

"Ninety-nine per cent of incidents I've been to in Surfers Paradise or at Fisherman's Wharf, when people have been restrained by security, the first thing police do is handcuff them," he said.

"It's a matter of public safety. I believed these people being held down [by bouncers] were high risk."

However, Senior Sergeant Diamond revealed Mr Tararo's death had been treated as a death in custody.

Asked by barrister Peter Nolan, representing Mr Legradi, if that would have been "an unpleasant experience" for him as the most senior officer involved in the incident, Senior Sergeant Diamond agreed.

"I wasn't concerned about that. It was quite clear what the police's role in this matter was," he said.

"I don't believe it was a death in custody."

Senior Sergeant Diamond denied a suggestion from Mr Nolan that Mr Tararo had been left, while handcuffed, lying face down on the ground outside the tavern because there had been no room for him in the police paddywagon, due to the man's obesity.

Senior Sergeant Diamond said the prisoners' area of the vehicle could seat five people, so fitting him in would not have been a problem.

The trial continues today.
WtD_Oracle
WtD Team

Crown rests in Fisho's bouncer case

Postby WtD_Oracle » 28 May 2010, 08:04

THE Crown has closed its case against three security guards charged with killing Terii Tararo at Fishermans Wharf Tavern, Main Beach, in 2008.

This morning defence barristers for former bouncers Morne Lombaard and Naeroa Tepaukonui cross-examined the doctor who performed the autopsy on Mr Tararo.

The men, along with another guard Denis Legradi have all pleaded not guilty to murdering Mr Tararo, 21, in a fight that started when Mr Tararo was refused entry.

Pathologist Dr Kathryn Urankar told the Supreme Court in Brisbane she cold not pinpoint an exact cause of death for Mr Tararo, instead listing seven factors.

These included Mr Tararos morbid obesity and pre-existing heart conditions, as well as they way he was hogtied and suffered blows to the head and neck compression.
WtD_Oracle
WtD Team

Bouncers' murder charges downgraded

Postby WtD_Oracle » 03 Jun 2010, 08:24

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... -wr45.html

Murder charges have been downgraded against two of the three bouncers accused of killing a patron at a Gold Coast nightclub in 2008.

Following legal argument in the trial of Denis Legradi, 32, Morne Ricardo Lombaard, 30, and Naeroa Petera Tepaukouni, 37, the jury was told Mr Legradi and Mt Tepaukouni had no case to answer on the charge of murder.

The pair now face the alternate charge of manslaughter, while Mr Lombaard still faces a charge of murder.

The men are accused of killing 21-year-old Terii Tararo, who died after he was physically restrained by them after being refused entry to the tavern on May 18, 2008.

A post-mortem examination revealed Mr Tararo had 62 recent injuries on his body.

The trial continues today.
WtD_Oracle
WtD Team

Seven years for bouncers who bashed patron to death

Postby WtD_Oracle » 10 Jun 2010, 08:04

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... -xume.html

Two Gold Coast bouncers will spend seven years behind bars after they were found guilty of the bashing death of a patron.

In the Brisbane Supreme Court today, Morne Ricardo Lombaard, 30, and Denis Legradi, 32, were found guilty of manslaughter over the death of Terii Tararo. Lombaard had charges of murder dismissed.

Both were sentenced to seven years shortly before 5pm today.

A third bouncer, Naeroa Petera Tepaukouni, 37, was dismissed of manslaughter but found guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Tepaukouni received a three month sentence, to be suspended for two years.

Mr Tararo, 21, died after being kicked, punched and choked by the bouncers outside Fisherman’s Wharf Tavern at Main Beach on May 18, 2008.

A post-mortem examination revealed the 130kg, 182cm man suffered 62 injuries during what the prosecution described as a "gratuitous, unnecessary, protracted beating".

Murder charges against Legradi, 32, and Tepaukouni, 37, were downgraded during the three-week trial before Justice Martin Daubney.

The court heard evidence from other patrons and security staff who testified that they saw Mr Tararo and the bouncers involved in a fight, which broke out after Mr Tararo was refused entry to the club and he punched Lombaard in the face.

Former Fisherman's Wharf Tavern security guard Tanner Hibel told the court he saw Lombaard kick his boot towards Mr Tararo's head - though did not see the kick connect - while telling him: "You couldn't even knock me out."

He was also "screaming and yelling" at Mr Tararo "I'll kill you, kaffir", Mr Hibel said.

The court was told the word is a racial slur used in Mr Lombaard's native South Africa.

Mr Hibel said in two and a half years of doing security work at licensed venues, he had restrained hundreds of people but none as strong as Mr Tararo.

"He was the strongest man," he said.
WtD_Oracle
WtD Team

Return to Security Related Discussion