dealing with trouble causing staff in retail

Security Guarding Discussion

Moderators: Bulldog, Big Paul, karlbee, hippy, Door Bitch, Boz

dealing with trouble causing staff in retail

Postby outofmind12 » 26 Oct 2011, 22:16

in the past week ive had a few problems with a certain member of staff at the supermarket where I work.

this lady is the "team leader" of customer service and has nothing at all to do with security, especially security contractors.

i was warned about her when i started the job, was told she is a super bitch who loves to stick her nose in and thinks she is in charge of security when really she is nobody.

my assignment instructions say i report to the main store managers and the "duty manager" which changes every so many hours.

as for the situation, this bitch is really sticking her nose into my affairs and seems determined to cause trouble where there is none. in the store i work security is usually based by the door, especially during busy periods, but when its not so busy its usually fine to wander around the lobby, as long as you have the door in your field of vision and you can react to anything that happens, its fine, you can do your job.

now this woman is going around complaining about me to the actual manager i report to, saying im always walking around and talking to staff, shes also complained about me to other guards from the company i work for. i just really dont get what her problem is. i am doing my job, i have not clashed with anyone other than her, no manager or duty manager has ever had a problem with me, just this one woman.

i understand people like this exist in every job and every store, i also get that security are always treated like s*it and you just have to put up with it.

what i wanna know is how the f**k i can deal with this bitch. i seriously just want to hurt her right now. apparently shes caused trouble for other guards in the past too, its like her life is so miserable that she is determined to bring other people down to her level of miserableness. ive tried been nice to her, ive tried avoiding her, in fact i have successfully avoided her for 2 months, but now she is coming to me and into my business, i have no control over that.

the way she talks to me is appaulling. she is suppose to be the head of customer services yet she talks to people like they are nothing, its pathetic. i dont want to have a go at her or give her any abuse, or show that she is affecting me, i think that would just spur someone like her on. i know the worse she can do to me is complain to the manager who she has the ear of. other than repeat complaints, she cannot do a single thing. but i dont want to have to tread on egg shells around a nobody like her. she has no power, and i dont want to give it to her.

grrrrrrrrrr she has really pissed me off.

*rant over* but if it stops me caving this bitches head in, who cares.
outofmind12
WTD Recruit

Re: dealing with trouble causing staff in retail

Postby Bloodheart » 26 Oct 2011, 22:46

If I'm reading this correctly, she has no power over you in a professional manner or power to see you fired, am I right?
Don't give her any power over you - sounds like you're just putting up with her, why? If she talks to you again or tries bossing you around then put her in her place - as long as you're not disrespectful (which may cause you more problems with her, and your working relationship with other staff; such as managers). You mention she's complained about you to the manager you report to, have they had a word with you, and if so what's their attitude towards her complaints? I'd wonder if it's worth discussing with them that you are doing your job and don't need that sort of hassle, don't complain about her per-say just point out that you need to be allowed to do your job.
Bloodheart
WTD Rookie

Postby outofmind12 » 27 Oct 2011, 08:43

Bloodheart wrote:If I'm reading this correctly, she has no power over you in a professional manner or power to see you fired, am I right?
Don't give her any power over you - sounds like you're just putting up with her, why? If she talks to you again or tries bossing you around then put her in her place - as long as you're not disrespectful (which may cause you more problems with her, and your working relationship with other staff; such as managers). You mention she's complained about you to the manager you report to, have they had a word with you, and if so what's their attitude towards her complaints? I'd wonder if it's worth discussing with them that you are doing your job and don't need that sort of hassle, don't complain about her per-say just point out that you need to be allowed to do your job.

she does not have any power over me or any security, she just seems to think she does. all she has is her relationship with my manager (my manager is her direct boss)

the worse she can do is run and tattle to the managers, other than that she cannot do anything.
from what ive heard from other guards, they all clash with her, or should i say that she always seems to have a problem with them.

ive been at the store 2 months, no manager has ever complained that im not doing my job, or that im taking the piss with anything, no customers have complained about my attitude or anything else either. the only person who seems to have a problem with me is this bitch. and ive never really spoke to her, i was told to avoid her, so i have, but now like i said shes coming to me, sticking her nose in, making it impossible for me to avoid her. i always stay respectful towards her (and every other member of staff).

my main manager (the actual person who is in charge of security) has not said anything to me yet, hopefully she will just keep an eye on me, im sure she can make up her own mind about my ability to do my job.
outofmind12
WTD Recruit

Postby noise stopper » 27 Oct 2011, 10:53

CYA Cover Your Arse! Pre empt her by having a chat with your direct boss now, put it in terms of a progress check, as in how am I doing, any complaints etc. Give him/her a chance to voice any issues constructively, and then tack on "I'd just like to check as one of the customer service team seems to be taking quite an interest in what I do, and I was wondering if there was an issue." Keep it nice and light, and let them know you are merely trying to do a better job!
Bosses love it when you keep in touch, but hate it when you dont care!
Good hunting.
It takes more than good intentions and a big bloke on the door.
noise stopper
The Guvnor

Postby AndyOnTheDoors » 27 Oct 2011, 12:09

You got three choices in my opinion

1. Pull her to one side and ask her wots her problem, but dont be aggressive or swear as that gives her ammo.

2. Put in a complaint about her to your store manager in writing possibly involving your contract manager if you are a contractor.

3. Take her down a dark alley and kick her head in. lol.
AndyOnTheDoors
WTD Recruit

Postby Bainster1 » 27 Oct 2011, 18:53

Your best bet here is what one of the guys suggested earlier, have an informal chat with the store duty manager or whoever it is you'd report to and make a point of mentioning at some point that your concerned that the member of staff may have some kind of problem with your work and ask if they are aware of what the reason may be.
Keep your cool and don't rant about her as that won't come across very well. We've all worked with arsehole members of staff and to be honest in my first security job i tried the ranting tactic and it got me nowhere apart from probably seeming childish when i flew off the handle.
I appreciate you must be raging but i think it's always better to try out the proper channels first....and then if that doesn't work?.....then get yer stampin boots on and kick away!!! :lol:
Bainster1
WTD Rookie

Postby parajack » 28 Oct 2011, 19:16

:shock: did 5 years in retail security and this problem has ALWAYS been around.....i tackled it by telling the jumped up duty managers,customer service whatevers,and check out supervisors,whatever that i would NEVER accept their authority,full stop,end of.....

I worked in rough stores and was attacked/threatened on a daily basis by the local n*bs and i wasnt prepared to be humiliated by a bunch of fcuking reg holdsworths...

Now i know you wont like that answer because you will say you cant do it,your right,you cant UNLESS you have balls and UNLESS you are prpared to accept the possible consequences...

personally i dont go for all this lets have a chat to the manager s*it....they dont respect security in my view,and will side with their own staff every time,
SO...what you are left with is keeping your dignity,and refusing to be intimidated by these people.
YES they might move you on,get rid of you,but THINK ON,with her behaviour undermining you,if its believed that will happen anyway...
The only thing you have control over is HOW, not IF...make it on your terms,keep your dignity,and tell her to mind her own business..will it change anything? YOU BET! try it and come back and post and tell me you dont feel 100% better about yourself.
fck em. :roll:
Utrinque Paratus:RIP Ryan Joe Parry 15 killed in the sheffield floods,i think about you often son.
parajack
The Guvnor

Postby outofmind12 » 28 Oct 2011, 20:52

parajack wrote::shock: did 5 years in retail security and this problem has ALWAYS been around.....i tackled it by telling the jumped up duty managers,customer service whatevers,and check out supervisors,whatever that i would NEVER accept their authority,full stop,end of.....

I worked in rough stores and was attacked/threatened on a daily basis by the local n*bs and i wasnt prepared to be humiliated by a bunch of fcuking reg holdsworths...

Now i know you wont like that answer because you will say you cant do it,your right,you cant UNLESS you have balls and UNLESS you are prpared to accept the possible consequences...

personally i dont go for all this lets have a chat to the manager s*it....they dont respect security in my view,and will side with their own staff every time,
SO...what you are left with is keeping your dignity,and refusing to be intimidated by these people.
YES they might move you on,get rid of you,but THINK ON,with her behaviour undermining you,if its believed that will happen anyway...
The only thing you have control over is HOW, not IF...make it on your terms,keep your dignity,and tell her to mind her own business..will it change anything? YOU BET! try it and come back and post and tell me you dont feel 100% better about yourself.
fck em. :roll:

i dont think anything i could say or do would change the woman in question. most of the staff seem to hate her, the way she talks to people and treats people is discusting, she would never get away with it if she didnt have "team leader" on her stupid badge, and if she wasnt so pally with one of the actual store managers. i am just glad i dont actually work for her, she can tell me what to do, i can either do it to save myself bother, or tell her its none of her business. all i have to do is be nice to her (which i think she hates) and look at her ugly miserable face behind the customer service desk when ever she is working. i am just so glad not to actually have owt to do with her.

as for speaking my mind properly and saying what would be said if there would be no consequences, your right i cant do it. im new to retail, the company and young in general. im not even out of my probationary period, so it seems until ive been confirmed as a permenant employee of the company, i am just going to have to keep my head down, ignore the bullshit, do the best job i can and give nobody any reason to go off to my actual manager or even worse the company i work for and tell tales, even if they are utter bullshit. right now they could end my employment for anything they like, so im trying my best not to give them any reason to.

i actually like my job, the area is rough, the store is badly equipted (security wise its bare bones, no real cctv, just security tags and 1 guard most of the time, but they wonder why "shrinkage" is so high), my hours of work suck but ive done far worse, the pay is crap but ive had worse, and most of the people who work at the store are nice people... ive made a few good friends there. i also am very lucky to have a single place of work. most people who work for the company i work for start off doing relief work, getting sent here there and everywhere at short notice... they asked if i would be willing to do that, i told them no, not a chance.... and got offered a permenant site straight away.

so yeah, ive calmed down a bit now, the bitch is on holiday for a week, ive only got 4 weeks of my probationary period left, and well... im just gonna keep my head down, do the best job i can do with the limits management have put on me, get paid, go home....
outofmind12
WTD Recruit

Postby Kevo » 01 Nov 2011, 19:52

This is one of the reasons i am glad be out of retail,
A lot of store staff dont have respect for security and dont see us having to deal with the types of problems on a door.
My only advise would be not to leave it fester, For your own mental health and no other reason.......
Kevo
WTD Door Supervisor

Return to Security Guarding