High demand for static guarding positions????

Security Guarding Discussion

Moderators: Bulldog, Big Paul, karlbee, hippy, Door Bitch, Boz

High demand for static guarding positions????

Postby Mike123 » 07 Sep 2011, 10:35

It seems that everybody is trying to move to static guarding because you are basically getting paid for nothing.

The wages are very low but the long hours make up for it so you can still make a decent amount at the end of the month.

I have a friend who works as a supervisor for a small security company who have roughly 20 guards, doing both retail and static. He said 7 out of the 12 guys they had doing retail have all now started doing static for the same company or they have now gone to static roles with other company's, leaving them to employ guys new to the industry to do all the retail work.

He recently advertised a vacancy with Job Centre Plus because of a new static contract and not having enough guards and received over 70 applicants in 1 day. :shock:

And to finish it off, i am also now looking for static work. 8)
Mike123
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Re: High demand for static guarding positions????

Postby outofmind12 » 08 Sep 2011, 09:55

Getting paid for nothing?

Your getting paid to patrol a site and keep it safe. I dont think there has been a sudden explosion of people wanting static work. The hours are horrible, the pay is crap. To earn a decent living you literally need to LIVE at work.
outofmind12
WTD Recruit

Postby doorsupervisor1990 » 08 Sep 2011, 22:02

outofmind12 wrote:Getting paid for nothing?

Your getting paid to patrol a site and keep it safe. I dont think there has been a sudden explosion of people wanting static work. The hours are horrible, the pay is crap. To earn a decent living you literally need to LIVE at work.

Agreed, all the static jobs ive seen the hours are 60 a week for £6 ph but then again its the quote of "If people will work for crap pay then companys will keep paying crap wages". Also if your doing nothing then im suprised your site aint have everything nicked from it as plant theift is highly on the rise.
Last edited by doorsupervisor1990 on 09 Sep 2011, 01:59, edited 1 time in total.
doorsupervisor1990
WTD Recruit

Postby IDS » 09 Sep 2011, 01:32

Paid for nothing? Go you and work in static come back to us when you have a face off with 4 transit vans full of travellers looking to kick your s*it box in :roll: :roll:
I AM THE SWORD OF MY FAMILY AND SHIELD OF MY NATION, IF SENT I WILL CRUSH EVERYTHING YOU HAVE BUILT, BURN ALL THAT YOU LOVE, AND KILL EVERY ONE OF YOU
IDS
The Guvnor

Postby outofmind12 » 09 Sep 2011, 22:40

irishdoorsupervisor wrote:Paid for nothing? Go you and work in static come back to us when you have a face off with 4 transit vans full of travellers looking to kick your s*it box in :roll: :roll:

Ive been there.

Except it was 1 transit van full of travellers not 4. One van full is enough tho. Lol.

Anyway, static has its good points and lots of bad points. If the original poster is considering static then he should expect the following:

1. Cold, dirty cabins
2. Grubby bathrooms and other facilities like fridges which you would not want to store dog food in, never mind your tea
3. Been on your own 99% of the time sometimes in remote and very dark places
4. Long hours, expect minimum of 12 hour shifts, more than likely up to 16 hours on weekdays, you will get home, sleep 4 or 5 hours then back for another 16 hours
5. Working every single weekend
6. Minimum wage
7. You will almost certainly be working christmas day which sucks
8. Days where your not working you will be too tired to do anything else
9. Say byebye to any form of social life
outofmind12
WTD Recruit

Postby steohh » 11 Sep 2011, 16:21

outofmind12 wrote:
irishdoorsupervisor wrote:Paid for nothing? Go you and work in static come back to us when you have a face off with 4 transit vans full of travellers looking to kick your s*it box in :roll: :roll:

Ive been there.

Except it was 1 transit van full of travellers not 4. One van full is enough tho. Lol.

Anyway, static has its good points and lots of bad points. If the original poster is considering static then he should expect the following:

1. Cold, dirty cabins
2. Grubby bathrooms and other facilities like fridges which you would not want to store dog food in, never mind your tea
3. Been on your own 99% of the time sometimes in remote and very dark places
4. Long hours, expect minimum of 12 hour shifts, more than likely up to 16 hours on weekdays, you will get home, sleep 4 or 5 hours then back for another 16 hours
5. Working every single weekend
6. Minimum wage
7. You will almost certainly be working christmas day which sucks
8. Days where your not working you will be too tired to do anything else
9. Say byebye to any form of social life

bang on the money there, i agree with points 3-9 but we're lucky on my site as we have decent facilities and digital tv which is great for killing time and a good little cctv system, one thing i hate is how the client pays out all sorts of silly money to refurbish the building with leather sofas etc yet wont give us a ptz so we can have a 360 degree view of things because there are some blindspots but thats a different thread altogether, the hours are long, pay is crap and especially on nights its abit creepy but you do the best you can and crack on
we stand alone together - easy company 101st airborne 501 PIR
steohh
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby Mike123 » 26 Sep 2011, 20:06

I started working in my static job last week, a few problems to start with but i managed to get the company to employ another guard, them taking on another man meant i had my 60 hours+ split between the 2 of us, i only needed a job from Monday to Thursday so this was ideal for me

Then there was a debate about a torch, back of the site is pitch black and there are train tracks near by, that's the area that needed to be checked regularly and they only went and gave me a sh** torch, so i got them to order something else from there supplier and this new one is decent + they are going to supply me with new batteries every 2 weeks when i go to hand my time sheet in, i'm happy with that.

Some flood lights are going being fitted to the back of the site (the pitch black area) some time this week and that's where they have had problems with wires being ripped out for the copper, etc, but it's nice to work for a company that actually listens to there staff and it's not like the site having flood lights is going to just benefit me, a well lighted site can be a very big deterrent.

Cabin was full of spider webs and moths, i don't know how the other guards can stay in there, the first thing i did was do a bit of cleaning and now it's good enough to spend 10 hours in.

£7 per hour so it's not bad as i mainly see static roles paying minimum wage and never anything higher then £6 at most.

The site itself is in a very quiet area so it is a bit boring but not too bad, i manage to get a bit of reading and studying done most nights.
Mike123
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Postby outofmind12 » 28 Sep 2011, 08:47

Mike123 wrote:I started working in my static job last week, a few problems to start with but i managed to get the company to employ another guard, them taking on another man meant i had my 60 hours+ split between the 2 of us, i only needed a job from Monday to Thursday so this was ideal for me

Then there was a debate about a torch, back of the site is pitch black and there are train tracks near by, that's the area that needed to be checked regularly and they only went and gave me a sh** torch, so i got them to order something else from there supplier and this new one is decent + they are going to supply me with new batteries every 2 weeks when i go to hand my time sheet in, i'm happy with that.

Some flood lights are going being fitted to the back of the site (the pitch black area) some time this week and that's where they have had problems with wires being ripped out for the copper, etc, but it's nice to work for a company that actually listens to there staff and it's not like the site having flood lights is going to just benefit me, a well lighted site can be a very big deterrent.

Cabin was full of spider webs and moths, i don't know how the other guards can stay in there, the first thing i did was do a bit of cleaning and now it's good enough to spend 10 hours in.

£7 per hour so it's not bad as i mainly see static roles paying minimum wage and never anything higher then £6 at most.

The site itself is in a very quiet area so it is a bit boring but not too bad, i manage to get a bit of reading and studying done most nights.

Well it seems you have a nice little set up without some of the usual draw backs assosiated with the job. Low hours, a company that listens to you.

Enjoy it mate.
outofmind12
WTD Recruit

Postby Mike123 » 28 Sep 2011, 11:33

I never thought how much of a motivation it would be having a company that listens to you and actually takes action.

I think all of us who have worked in the industry for more then a few years know about companies that don't give a sh*t about there employees, it just leaves you taking 1 hour breaks instead of 30 minutes you're allowed, sleeping on the job, etc :roll:
Mike123
WTD Head Door Supervisor

Return to Security Guarding