A few questions about CP

This section is for members to discuss topics in the Close Protection Sector.

Moderators: Bulldog, Big Paul, karlbee, hippy, Door Bitch, Boz

A few questions about CP

Postby Baurrz » 11 Jan 2012, 18:43

Alright lads and ladies. Right I have been thinking about getting my CP for a little while now. I've been working the doors at night clubs around Swindon and Bristol for about a year now. Its really the only job I see to be good at lol. I have a few questions..

1) Have I been in security long enough to get into CP or should I work the doors for a bit longer to gain more security experience?
2) I am only 19 (started working the doors as soon as I turned 18) am I too young to work CP?
3)What are peoples views on the IBA training company? my current boss works CP and said they're crap.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Baurrz
WTD Rookie

Re: A few questions about CP

Postby noise stopper » 11 Jan 2012, 22:21

If its Duncan White and the IBB (or whatever he is calling it now), he is actually a very good trainer and operator. If it is Gym Shortts and his comedy roadshow just google "Baron Castleshortt"
At 19 if I am honest I think you are a bit young, as most clients will be looking for someone who has a bit of life experience and a lot of the companies will not take you seriously. Sadly a lot of the training companies will take the approach of "He's got the money so lets take it off him!"
Enjoy yourself a bit, and look at it again in a few years.
http://www.adporta.co.uk
It takes more than good intentions and a big bloke on the door.
noise stopper
The Guvnor

Postby hippy » 12 Jan 2012, 09:19

ok, from someone who has worked cp for over 20 years for both HMG and in the private sector, 19 is way to young. Part of your job will be trying to tell someone who is very successful/rich/powerful/up their own arse what they should or shouldn't do.. How many will want to take such instruction from a 19 year old? Its for that reason the police and the RMP have a minimum length of service before they can apply for cp training.
Keep at it with the doors and learn your trade for sometime yet.
My good blade carves the casques of men,
My tough lance thrusteth sure,
My strength is as the strength of ten,
Because my heart is pure.
hippy

Postby karlbee » 12 Jan 2012, 12:43

Also think of it from the person requiring CP point of view, you believe that there is such a threat to your safety that you are willing to pay for CP and a 19yr old turns up. I know I wouldnt be happy.
Any fool can make money,a clever man knows how to keep it. Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity.
karlbee

Postby monaco » 19 Jan 2012, 21:47

Hi Guys, I have had my cp badge going on two and a half years did a weeks worth of work after just getting badge but since then very sparce, doing the doors as a back stop, sent out so many cv's and applications lost count, its a question of who you know not what you know, does anyone know of any companys taking on.
monaco
WTD Rookie

Postby noise stopper » 20 Jan 2012, 09:07

Hello Monaco, welcome to the forum, pop an intro up so qwe can see who you are and jump in on a few chats. In the real world it's called networking, and it works the same way on here.
http://www.adporta.co.uk
It takes more than good intentions and a big bloke on the door.
noise stopper
The Guvnor

Postby hippy » 20 Jan 2012, 09:29

monaco wrote:Hi Guys, I have had my cp badge going on two and a half years did a weeks worth of work after just getting badge but since then very sparce, doing the doors as a back stop, sent out so many cv's and applications lost count, its a question of who you know not what you know, does anyone know of any companys taking on.

Not so much these days, more how cheap will you go.. :twisted:
My good blade carves the casques of men,
My tough lance thrusteth sure,
My strength is as the strength of ten,
Because my heart is pure.
hippy

Postby airborne_badger » 21 Jan 2012, 12:29

I know a couple but without wishing to sound harsh; why on earth would I put their names on an open Internet forum?
airborne_badger
WTD Door Supervisor

Postby siatraining » 01 Feb 2012, 17:46

Baurrz wrote:Alright lads and ladies. Right I have been thinking about getting my CP for a little while now. I've been working the doors at night clubs around Swindon and Bristol for about a year now. Its really the only job I see to be good at lol. I have a few questions..

1) Have I been in security long enough to get into CP or should I work the doors for a bit longer to gain more security experience?
2) I am only 19 (started working the doors as soon as I turned 18) am I too young to work CP?
3)What are peoples views on the IBA training company? my current boss works CP and said they're crap.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Hi Mate, As a CP training provider in Kent i would suggest that look into 5 or 6 more companies that offer you best value for money, like any company the IBA have pros and cons, there are some former cp candidates who have no experiance and set themselves up as taining providers ensure you ask to see if they are insuranced and if their trainers have at least 5 years cp operational experience, work is very hard to get nd most times i may be through word of mouth, also remember that a good cp company will start you of on RST start gaining your experiance, as for your age, dont let that stop you achieving your aim, just be prepard for a slow process. Regards Trevor
siatraining
WTD Rookie

Return to Close Protection