Jordan Harpham was already banned from Doncaster Interchange when he was escorted out by the guard on September 16 last year, said prosecutor Brian Outhwaite.
At 6.50pm the next day, Harpham returned and after he was led outside again by the same guard, produced the knife and began waving it around, saying: “Get over here, I’m going to stick this in you. I’m going to shank you.”
The guard said the confrontation was “really disturbing.” Harpham ran away, but was arrested on September 25, and claimed he was carrying a silver mobile phone.
Sheffield Crown Court heard he has 16 previous convictions for 45 offences, including possessing a knife and violence in 2016, and damage, threats and violence between 2017 and 2019.
He was sentenced to three years in a Young Offenders Institution in January 2020 for burglary and handling stolen goods.
Richard Barradell, mitigating, said Harpham was 18 at the time. He said: “The probation report says his offending was down to youth and immaturity.
“He is not due for release until March next year. Due to Covid there are no courses and no way to rehabilitate himself. This sentence is a particularly hard one.”
Harpham, aged 19, of Staveley Street, New Edlington, Doncaster, who is currently in HMP Doncaster, pleaded guilty to making threats with a bladed object, on August 13.
Recorder Keir Monteith QC said: “You threatened a person who was just doing their job. It was a nasty offence. There was a risk of disorder.
“You clearly secreted the knife on yourself before you used it.
“However there is a degree of remorse. I encourage you to continue the good progress you have made.”
Harpham received 12 months in a YOI because there is “a high risk of reoffending.”
The judge added that Harpham can still be released in March next year as far as he is concerned, but the prison will ultimately make that decision.
Source – Doncaster Free Press