A city centre doorman was praised for his “quick action” after a horror hit-and-run in Liverpool this morning.
Two men were run down by a car as a group crossed Slater Street at around 2.45am.
Shocking footage of the incident shows a white car racing round the corner from Bold Street knocking the two at the back of the group over.
Video footage taken of the CCTV at Diablos also shows how door staff rushed to the aid of the two men in the immediate aftermath of the incident.
One door man can be seen running into the road to a man who hit the bonnet of the car before falling onto the road and being run over.
The security worker ran over before placing the man’s hand onto his body and trying to talk to him.
He can be seen shouting to other witnesses, presumably asking for the emergency services to be called.
Thousands of people have watched the horrific footage and many have taken the chance to praise the doorman.
On Facebook, Kay McKenna said: “Well done to the doorman who goes straight over.”
Emma Tait also said: “Good on that bouncer.”
Another person on Facebook said: “The lad could have died if that bouncer hadn’t helped him out.”
A spokesperson for Azteca Security, who provide the door staff at Diablos, praised the actions of the staff and the club.
In a statement given to the ECHO, the company said: “In the early hours of Monday 24 December 2018, a vehicle driven by an unknown person accelerated from Bold Street into Slater Street striking a group of males; one of which was seriously injured.
“Staff from Azteca Security working at Diablo’s Bar immediately went to the assistance of the injured parties, provided vital first aid, and contacted the emergency services.
“The prompt action of the staff is believed to have made a significant difference to the injured persons.
“Azteca Security believes continuous professional development is essential for all their staff; on this occasion, it has enabled them to provide immediate assistance in a prompt and professional manner to the injured parties.”
The statement also confirmed that managers at Diablos decided to close the venue after the incident and secured the scene in order to help the emergency services.
The statement also said: “This is a dreadful incident and our thoughts go out to the injured males and families especially at this time of the year.”
Azteca also raised concerns about vehicle access to Liverpool’s busiest areas.
They said: “Over the last 5-6 years, the concerns surrounding vehicle access to the busiest parts of the town have been raised by Pubwatch and individual venues alike.
“We feel that this risk may not have been properly assessed by Liverpool City Council and Merseyside Police; had it been, this incident may have been able to be avoided.”
These issues were previously raised with Liverpool City Council and Merseyside Police earlier this year after a special report by the Liverpool ECHO.
Questions were asked of the authorities after an incident in April when a man drove his BMW onto Mathew Street and hitting a man stood outside the club he had just been thrown out of.
CCTV footage showed the disturbing ease with which the car smashed through hydraulic bollards designed to stop drivers entering the area.
Those bollards formed part of a system that, months earlier, Liverpool Council had suggested would deter anyone intent on driving a vehicle into one of the UK’s most famous tourist destinations.
In October the ECHO asked Liverpool Council about pedestrian safety in the light of attacks using vehicles.
At the time they said: “Liverpool City Council and its partners, particularly Merseyside Police, work together to provide a safe, enjoyable city centre for residents, businesses and visitors.
“The automatic rising bollards in Liverpool city centre are just one of the measures in place to help keep people safe in the city centre and are just
one of the items of street furniture that act as a physical and visual deterrent.
“Working with our partners, including Merseyside Police, we want to assure residents that we are alert to risks and are continuously working to help keep them safe.”
A 19-year-old man, from Stoneycroft, was arrested on Aigburth Road this morning on suspicion of causing serious injury by dangerous driving.
Source – Liverpoolecho.co.uk