John Lewis Security Guard Loses Job for Removing Teenager Out of Shop

A John Lewis security guard has lost his job after a ‘shocking’ video emerged of him putting a teenager in a headlock.

Kyle Spencer, 19, was grabbed by the neck and dragged out of the John Lewis shop in the Westgate, Oxford.


New dad Mr Spencer, was out shopping for baby clothes for the arrival of his firstborn child, Emilia, on August 5, when he said he was “assaulted” by the security guard.

He was visiting the store at around 4pm with his two sisters, one who filmed the incident on her phone.

The clip shows the guard grabbing the teenager, from Oxford, by the neck and wrestle him out of the store.

The family claim the scuffle started after Mr Spencer’s 12-year-old sister pressed a button on a speaker causing loud music to play.

Security guards were then called by store workers to investigate reports of disruptive behaviour, and Mr Spencer was hauled out of the shop.

The group were approached by the security guard, who asked the three of them to leave the store, Mr Spencer said.

But he claims the guard became aggressive when he asked to see his ID badge.

He asked to see some form of identification because the guard, dressed in shorts and a polo shirt, “didn’t look like” someone who worked for John Lewis.

Mr Spencer said: “To me he just looked like a normal person in normal clothes.

“He refused to show me his badge and started to get angry about it. I didn’t try to cause an argument or try to be awkward.

“He asked us to leave but when we were talking he pushed me twice.”

Video footage then shows the guard spin Mr Spencer around and grab him by the neck.

He said he tried to defend himself by resisting the “heavy-handed” guards attempt to grapple with him.

After dragging him out of the store the guard continues to hold Mr Spencer by the neck.

His sisters can be heard screaming in distress as their brother is taken to the ground.

Mr Spencer reported the incident to Thames Valley Police claiming assault.

An investigation was launched but no action was taken against the guard.

Mr Spencer said he went to A&E later that night with neck pain and bruised ribs. He claims doctors diagnosed him with a sprain and whiplash.

Following the closure of the police investigation the incident was reported to John Lewis directly by Mr Spencer, on August 22.

He received a letter of apology from the guard the next day, in which it is claimed the teenager used abusive and threatening language, which he denies.

John Lewis say they are “appalled” by the incident and have confirmed the guard no longer works for the company.

A John Lewis spokesperson said: “We were shocked and appalled to hear of this incident in our Oxford shop and have apologised to the customer.

“This is not what we would expect from anyone who works for us and we can confirm that this individual is no longer employed by John Lewis & Partners.

“We’ve subsequently conducted an internal investigation and supported the Police with their enquiries.”

Thames Valley Police spokesperson said: “Thames Valley Police received a report of an assault which took place in Queen Street, Oxford at around 4pm on August 5.”

“No arrests have been made. A 52-year-old man received an adult restorative disposal in relation to this incident.”

Source – oxford mail




Close Menu